Pranab briefs his Russian counterpart about row over Indo-US N-dealNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:47 am ICT by admin
Authoritative sources told ANI that Mukherjee discussed the nuclear deal with Lavrov during a bilateral meeting on the sidelines of the troika talks, which concluded today.
Sources further said that at the brief meeting between the two foreign ministers, both countries acknowledged that Pakistan was destabilizing Afghanistan.
Both sides decided to celebrate next year as the ‘Year of Russia in India’ and over 150 cultural programmes are slated to be held this year.
The bilateral meeting is being seen as the groundwork for the forthcoming visit of the Prime Minister to Russia, which sources said would take place in the second week of November i.e. before the AEAN summit, which commences on November 19.
India needs to conclude a safeguards agreement with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), get approvals from the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) and a second backing from the US Congress before the nuclear deal can come into force.
Although it faces no formal deadline, Washington wants the pact — considered highly lucrative for American firms — clinched next year before the end of Bush’s term to avoid its fate becoming uncertain under a new administration. (ANI)
- Russian foreign minister visits India Monday - Nov 29, 2010
- Russian Foreign Minister to visit India - Nov 29, 2010
- Putin begins state visit to China (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Krishna goes to China for SCO summit - Jun 04, 2012
- Russia, US may sign new arms reduction treaty soon - Feb 17, 2010
- Russia to build more reactors, sign 5th generation jet deal (Roundup) - Dec 17, 2010
- India, Russia, China to cement trilateral cooperation - Apr 12, 2012
- 'Iran's Bushehr nuclear plant can resist quakes' - Mar 15, 2011
- Bangalore hosting major international meeting after 23 years - Oct 27, 2009
- Vladimir Putin begins China visit - Jun 05, 2012
- India-Russia ties a model for diplomacy: Krishna - Apr 13, 2012
- Canada to fast-track nuclear deal with India (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- 'No Syrian crisis settlement without Russia, China' - Apr 28, 2012
- India, China, Russia pitch for Afghan stability; back dialogue on Syria (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- Iran offered peaceful nuke technology if it surrenders enriched uranium stockpile - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: authoritative sources, external affairs minister, foreign ministers, formal deadline, forthcoming visit, harbin, India, left parties, new administration, nsg, nuclear cooperation, nuclear deal, nuclear suppliers group, pranab mukherjee, russia, russian counterpart, safeguards agreement, sergei lavrov, us congress