Prabhakaran’s parents in government custodyMay 28th, 2009 - 3:37 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, May 28 (IANS) The parents of the now dead Tamil Tigers chief Velupillai Prabhakaran are in the “protective custody” of the Sri Lankan government, a media report said Thursday.
Thiruvenkatam Velupillai (76) and his wife Parvathi (71) surrendered to the army several days ago, The Island newspaper quoted a government official as saying.
They were reportedly among the civilians holed up in the no fire zone along the coast in Mullaitivu district before the army launched its final assault against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
Prabhakaran and other LTTE leaders were killed May 18.
“Velupillai and Parvathi were among the early batch of Sri Lankan Tamils to go to India. They settled in Tiruchi,” the report said.
They returned to the LTTE zone in northern Sri Lanka in 2003, a year after the Tigers and Colombo signed a Norway-brokered ceasefire agreement. Prabhakaran had fled their home in Jaffna way back in 1972.
Prabhakaran’s death and the decimation of the LTTE ended a dragging Tamil separatist conflict that left some 90,000 people dead in Sri Lanka.
- Sri Lanka refuses entry to Indian politicians - Feb 22, 2011
- Prabhakaran's mother dies in Sri Lanka - Feb 20, 2011
- Former Tamil chief minister returns to Sri Lanka - after nine years - Apr 07, 2010
- Velupillai Prabhakaran: His life, times and death - May 18, 2009
- Slain LTTE leader Prabhakaran's mother passes away in Sri Lanka - Feb 20, 2011
- Sri Lanka's 26-year war ends as LTTE leader Prabhakaran killed (Intro Roundup) - May 18, 2009
- LTTE: A Chronology - May 17, 2009
- Death blow for LTTE as Prabhakaran, aides killed in Sri Lanka (Roundup) - May 18, 2009
- Prabhakaran to blame for LTTE's demise, says Karuna - Dec 14, 2010
- Yechuri wants 'justice' for Tamils - Mar 13, 2012
- A year later, few in Sri Lanka mourn Prabhakaran - May 17, 2010
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
- A Sri Lankan Tamil who could have made a difference (Comment) - Nov 19, 2011
- Krishna goes to Sri Lanka minus the war's shadow - Nov 21, 2010
- Withdraw army from Sri Lanka's northeast, says TULF (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: army, ceasefire agreement, civilians, decimation, government official, India, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, ltte leaders, northern sri lanka, norway, parents, prabhakaran, protective custody, separatist conflict, sri lankan government, tamil tigers