Prabhakaran, top aides killed in Sri Lanka’s war zone (Second Lead)May 18th, 2009 - 3:50 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, May 18 (IANS) Velupillai Prabhakaran, the elusive leader of Sri Lanka’s feared Tamil Tigers, was killed Monday while trying to escape the battlezone in the island’s north along with two of his top aides, the military announced.
Prabhakaran, 54, was in a convoy of a van and an ambulance with Pottu Amman, head of the intelligence wing of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), and Sea Tigers chief Soosai when the military opened fire in an isolated strip of Mullaitivu district.
The deaths sparked frenzied celebrations in the capital Colombo and large parts of the Sinhalese populated central and southern provinces as people poured out of their homes, waved national flags and distributed sweets.
Prabhakaran’s death comes shortly after soldiers stumbled upon the bodies of several key LTTE leaders, including his son Charles Anthony, who headed the group’s IT wing and was being groomed to take over his father’s mantle.
Prabhakaran founded the LTTE in 1976 and built it into an awesome military machine that at one point controlled a third of Sri Lanka’s land territory and two-thirds of its coastline.
- LTTE defeated, Sri Lanka free from terror: army chief - May 18, 2009
- Sri Lanka's 26-year war ends as LTTE leader Prabhakaran killed (Intro Roundup) - May 18, 2009
- LTTE chief Prabhakaran is dead (Lead) - May 18, 2009
- Death blow for LTTE as Prabhakaran, aides killed in Sri Lanka (Roundup) - May 18, 2009
- Sri Lankan President to address nation at 6 pm - May 18, 2009
- Prabhakaran's body found, Rajapaksa says LTTE vanquished (Roundup) - May 19, 2009
- Karunanidhi seeks Centre's intervention to save Lankan Tamils - May 18, 2009
- India, LTTE met 'secretly' before Sri Lanka truce: Eric Solheim - Nov 13, 2011
- Prabhakaran alive, claims pro-LTTE website - May 19, 2009
- A year later, few in Sri Lanka mourn Prabhakaran - May 17, 2010
- Don't ignore Tamil cry for self-government, Solheim tells Sri Lanka (Interview) - May 19, 2009
- Celebrations in Sri Lanka as news of Prabhakaran's death spreads - May 18, 2009
- Bodies of Prabhakaran's son, six LTTE leaders found (Third Lead) - May 18, 2009
- LTTE intelligence chief leading final battle: report - Mar 01, 2009
- Prabhakaran still in Sri Lanka, vows to fight on - Apr 24, 2009
Tags: battlezone, capital colombo, celebrations, coastline, convoy, intelligence wing, land territory, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, ltte leaders, mantle, military machine, national flags, sea tigers, soosai, southern provinces, tamil tigers, top aides, velupillai prabhakaran, war zone