Prabhakaran is not a terrorist, asserts KarunanidhiApril 19th, 2009 - 7:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 19 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi has said Tamil Tiger chief Vellupillai Prabhakaran is his “good friend” and he would have “deep regrets” if the Sri Lankan rebel leader was killed during the military operations in the island nation.
“I will deeply regret it (if Prabhakaran is killed). I will regret it. I will say it happened because of a lack of unity among the Tamil groups in Sri Lanka,” Karunanidhi told NDTV.
Asked if he sees the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) chief as a terrorist, Karunanidhi said: “No, I don’t. Some people in Prabhakaran’s group might be involved in terrorism. But that is not Prabhakaran’s fault.”
“Prabhakaran is a good friend, and I am not a terrorist.”
He said the LTTE, which has been fighting a separatist war for an independent homeland for minority Tamils in Sri Lanka, has a “legitimate objective”.
“But the manner in which they go about it is wrong,” the DMK leader said.
“Terrorism is different,” Karunanidhi said asked how was it possible not to recognise the LTTE as a terrorist organisation.
The LTTE is known to be one of the most dreaded terror groups in the world involved in many civilian killings, including the assassination of former Indian prime minister Rajiv Gandhi.
- Karunanidhi says can't forgive LTTE for killing Rajiv Gandhi - Apr 20, 2009
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- AIADMK unhappy with PM over Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Jayalalithaa reiterates her opposition to LTTE - Jul 06, 2010
- Uproar in parliament over Sri Lanka's 'war crimes' (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- LTTE tortured and killed while fighting Indians: Book - Jul 12, 2012
- LTTE chief Prabhakaran not a terrorist: M. Karunanidhi - Apr 19, 2009
- Karunanidhi now says LTTE is terror group - Apr 20, 2009
- LTTE tells India it is not trying to regroup - Nov 12, 2010
- India, LTTE met 'secretly' before Sri Lanka truce: Eric Solheim - Nov 13, 2011
- Ahead of elections, pro-LTTE journal attacks Karunanidhi - Apr 11, 2011
- Slain LTTE leader Prabhakaran's mother passes away in Sri Lanka - Feb 20, 2011
- LTTE operating camps in Tamil Nadu: Lankan PM - Mar 10, 2011
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
- India should help form Tamil Eelam: Ramadoss - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: chief minister, civilian killings, dmk leader, independent homeland, indian prime minister, island nation, legitimate objective, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, ltte chief, m karunanidhi, minority tamils, ndtv, rajiv gandhi, rebel leader, separatist war, tamil groups, tamil tiger, terror groups, terrorist organisation, vellupillai prabhakaran