PPP slams ‘opportunists’ for ‘exploiting’ Karachi bombingsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:42 am ICT by admin
“These are manic remarks like the ones made by Pakistan Muslim League (PML) President Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain that Asif Zardari was responsible for the blasts that led the party to ask for international assistance in the investigation,” Rehman said.
By their blame game, the critics of the October 18 rally were not only being disrespectful to those who had lost their lives for the cause of democracy, but also attempting to divert the course of investigation into the incident, she said.
“The victims of the October 18 blasts can only get justice when there is an impartial inquiry into the incident. Any attempt to settle political scores exploiting the tragedy is not only a grave injustice to the victims but also a slap on the democratic aspirations of the people of Pakistan,” Rehman added.
“It’s like telling the victims: you deserved this fate because you exercised your constitutional right to become a part of the political process,” she said.
Worried by the mass reception extended to PPP Chairwoman Benazir Bhutto on her return, many of her critics, including some in the current government, had initiated a media campaign against her and the party, the Daily Times quoted Rehman, as saying.
“Their argument that Bhutto should have opted out of the reception on October 18 because of the terrorist threat has been described as ridiculous by independent analysts. The allegations by the ruling elite that the party is responsible for the tragedy has been condemned by the public at large,” she added. (ANI)
- Benazir Bhutto's assassins arrested: Malik (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- Rehman Malik had significant role in Bhutto's security management: Report - Apr 19, 2010
- Pakistan's gateway bleeds over political opportunism - Nov 01, 2010
- PPP to seek 'stern' action against Musharraf following UN Benazir assassination report - Apr 18, 2010
- Pakistani plane with 127 on board crashes, no survivors (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Benazir's assassins behind Karachi target killings: PPP - Oct 20, 2010
- Benazir Bhutto assassination plot not hatched at any Brigadier house: Malik - Dec 31, 2010
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan, no survivors (Night Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- 'Zia's remnants trying to malign Zardari, children by using Benazir banner': PPP - Nov 24, 2010
- Dynastic politics a tragedy, says Pakistani daily - Apr 05, 2012
- Benazir killing probe almost complete: Gilani - Dec 28, 2011
- Israeli weapons used in Karachi unrest: Rehman Malik - Jul 18, 2011
- PPP not to unveil Benazir Bhutto assassination report - Apr 04, 2011
- Curfew imposed in Karachi to curb violence - Jan 16, 2011
- Investigation agencies must disclose names of Benazir's killers: Qureshi - Jan 02, 2011
Tags: asif zardari, benazir bhutto, blame game, blasts, critics, democratic aspirations, grave injustice, impartial inquiry, independent analysts, information secretary, international assistance, investigation, media campaign, pakistan muslim league, pml, ppp, rehman, ridiculous, tragedy