Powerful quake strikes off Indonesia’s SumatraMarch 6th, 2010 - 12:46 am ICT by IANS
Jakarta, March 5 (DPA) A 6.5-magnitude undersea earthquake struck off the western coast of Indonesia’s Sumatra island late Friday, seismologists said.
The quake struck at 11.07 p.m. at a depth of 10 km, about 119 km southeast of Mentawai islands, Indonesia’s National Meteorological and Geophysics Agency (BMG) said.
There were no immediate reports of injury or structural damage from the quake, the latest to jolt Indonesia in recent weeks.
In September last year a powerful 7.6-magnitude quake struck off the western coast of Sumatra, killing thousands of people and injuring hundreds of others.
A major earthquake and subsequent tsunami struck in December 2004, leaving more than 170,000 people dead or missing and half a million people homeless in Indonesia’s Aceh province.
- Strong quake jolts Indonesia's Aceh, tsunami warning issued - Apr 07, 2010
- 7-magnitude earthquake strikes Indonesia - Mar 14, 2010
- Magnitude 6.3 earthquake strikes off Sumatra island, Indonesia - May 29, 2011
- Magnitude-6 quake strikes Indonesia's West Papua - Mar 13, 2010
- Quake rattles Indonesian province - Apr 15, 2012
- Quake hits Indonesia's Sumatra island - Aug 23, 2011
- 6.4-magnitude earthquake strikes eastern Indonesia - Apr 24, 2010
- Powerful quake strikes off Sumatra island - Sep 30, 2009
- Quake jolts Indonesia's West Sumatra, four injured (Second Lead) - Aug 16, 2009
- Strong, undersea quake strikes off Indonesia (Lead) - Aug 16, 2009
- Powerful quake hits Indonesia - Oct 25, 2009
- 7.0-magnitude earthquake strikes Indonesia - Oct 01, 2009
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Powerful earthquake rocks Indonesian island, tsunami warning canceled - Apr 04, 2011
- Strong earthquake rocks Indonesia's Sulawesi, causes damage - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: aceh province, bmg, geophysics, half a million, indonesia, jakarta, magnitude quake, mentawai islands, national meteorological, powerful quake, quake strikes, seismologists, sumatra island, tsunami, undersea earthquake