Power tariff hike: Pakistani daily slams government’s sly moveMay 18th, 2012 - 12:28 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 17 (IANS) The steep hike in power tariff has come as a shock to Pakistanis who are already reeling under the pressure of inflation, said a daily here, criticising the government’s “deliberately sly move” of bypassing the law ministry while making the latest announcement.
An editorial in the News International said the power tariff is set to rise again - “just as summer draws in with all its wrath and the demand for power grows across the country”.
It will be a raise of 16 percent with the per unit price to increase from 0.71 to 2.12 rupees depending on the amount of electricity consumed.
“The increase will bring in an additional Rs.88 billion per year to a starved exchequer,” the daily said.
The editorial pointed out that across the country people are cutting into their income and their spending.
“Many are now cutting back on the necessities of life with no luxuries left anyway.”
It stated that the latest tariff increase “comes as another shock to households already reeling under the pressure of inflation that has grown out of all bounds”.
Highlighting another factor that is even more worrying, it said: “In a deliberately sly move the government has by-passed the law ministry while making the latest announcement. The ministry is reported to have earlier advised it that the matter was pending before the court and no decision should therefore be taken.”
“How long will this indifference to the people, this disregard to the courts, continue?,” it asked.
- Power tariff goes up in Punjab - May 09, 2011
- Tamil Nadu hikes bus fares, milk prices - Nov 17, 2011
- Inflation rises to 6.95 percent in February - Mar 14, 2012
- Stop outages, Pakistani daily urges power firms - Jun 10, 2011
- Assam party moves rights panel over power crisis - May 11, 2012
- Karnataka residents to shell out more for electricity - Oct 28, 2011
- Northeast power ministers call for gas price cut - May 07, 2011
- Poor accountability cost Congress Delhi civic polls: RWAs - Apr 18, 2012
- People protest power tariff hike in Rajasthan - Aug 09, 2012
- 'With power losses of $40 bn, India needs periodic tariff hikes' (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Inflated power bills a cruel joke, says Pakistani daily - Feb 26, 2011
- Solar grid parity by 2017, says ministry - Aug 30, 2012
- Food prices fall; inflation will continue to moderate: Pranab (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Food inflation at 10-week high; Pranab terms it unacceptable (Lead) - Jun 23, 2011
- Power to cost more in Delhi, Dikshit indicates - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: disregard, electricity, households, indifference, inflation, law ministry, luxuries, necessities of life, news international, pakistanis, power tariff hike, rupees, shock, slams, steep hike, tariff increase, wrath