Power-hungry Musharraf may not last longNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:34 am ICT by admin
The only conceivable peaceful outcome is that he agrees to go ahead with elections due in January, and accepts the results.
There is a likelihood that his action will lead to him being pushed out, and the emergence of a host of contenders for his job, including Vice Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Asfaq Kiyani.
It is possible that Musharraf also could not face stepping down as head of the Army and taking off his uniform, as he had promised to do, by November 15, whatever the court ruling. Much of his power would immediately have gone; calculation aside, the psychological wrench may also have been too formidable.
There will be public protests, which will put him in a quandary about how much force to use.
There will also be huge pressure from Britain and the US - with the threat of cutting off US military aid - to lift the state of emergency and to hold elections.
But if the turmoil continues, all kinds of would-be leaders may reckon that their time has come. Musharraf has put great faith in the loyalty of Lt. Gen. Kiyani. (ANI)
- Don't come back, ISI chief told Musharraf in Dubai - Jan 24, 2012
- Musharraf delays return to Pakistan - Jan 19, 2012
- Court defers hearing against army chief - May 08, 2012
- Suit against army chief shifted to another judge - May 07, 2012
- Zardari has immunuity as president, Gilani tells Supreme Court (Night Lead) - Jan 20, 2012
- Tejinder's plea against army chief sent to another court (Second Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Gilani sacks defence secretary, takes on army (Intro Night Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Court takes cognisance of Tejinder Singh's defamation case (Lead) - Mar 29, 2012
- Gilani, in Supreme Court, backs Zardari (Evening Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Gilani sacks Defence Secretary, takes on army (Night Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Court to rule on summoning of army chief May 5 - Apr 26, 2012
- Court order May 18 on defamation case against army chief (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Court reserves order on Tejinder Singh's plea - Jun 06, 2012
- Defamation case: Bail for Gen. V.K. Singh, four officers (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Court order on plea against army chief April 26 - Apr 21, 2012
Tags: army staff, chief of army, collision course, cutting off, elections, emergence, great faith, international support, lt general, musharraf, november 15, political parties, power hungry, public protests, quandary, state of emergency, stepping down, time has come, us military aid, vice chief