Powell determined to win men’s 100m title in BeijingAugust 3rd, 2008 - 12:24 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 2 (Xinhua) Jamaican sprinter Asafa Powell is determined to win the men’s 100 meters sprint title at the Olympics. “I hope that I could get the gold medal of men’s 100 meters, that is why I am here,” said Powell after arriving at Beijing International airport Friday.
Powell broke the 100m world record in Athens on June 14, 2005, setting a time of 9.77 seconds, beating American Tim Montgomery’s record of 9.78 seconds. He then bettered his record on September 9, 2007 clocking 9.74 seconds.
But fellow Jamaican Usain Bolt ran 9.72 seconds at the Reebok Grand Prix in New York City on May 31 this year, taking the 100m world record from Powell after nearly three years.
“I am training very well now. I don’t care about my opponents in the competition. I just follow my own steps, follow my own run,” said 26-year-old Powell.
- Powell issues warning to Bolt by winning in Hungary - Jul 31, 2011
- Olympics: Blake downplays experience factor in 100m contest - Aug 02, 2012
- Bolt squares off with Powell again in Oslo - Jun 07, 2012
- Asafa Powell says he is favourite to win World title - Aug 25, 2011
- Tired Bolt eyes world-leading time in Brussels - Sep 16, 2011
- Bolt's peerless victory in Zagreb 100 metres - Sep 14, 2011
- Olympic athletics: Bolt storms to 200m glory to make history - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympics: Powell a major doubt for remainder of season - Aug 07, 2012
- Bolt beaten in 100m at Jamaican Olympic trials - Jun 30, 2012
- Bolt makes retaining titles a priority ahead of World Championships - Aug 22, 2011
- Olympics: Jamaicans rejoice as Bolt wins 100m final - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics won't be easy for Bolt: Mennea - Jul 13, 2012
- Pound's drug remark about Jamaican athletes rubbished - Aug 15, 2012
- Bolt escapes unhurt in a minor car crash - Jun 11, 2012
- World Athletics Championship: Jamaican minister laments Powell 100m exit - Aug 27, 2011
Tags: 100m world record, athens, aug 2, beijing international airport, gold medal, june 14, new york city, olympics, opponents, reebok grand prix, september 9, sprint, sprinter, tim montgomery, usain bolt, xinhua