Possible Muslim Brotherhood govt “mother of all fears,” for Egypt’s ChristiansFebruary 8th, 2011 - 2:17 pm ICT by ANI
Cairo, Feb 8 (ANI): Amid massive protests across the country calling for Hosni Mubarak’s resignation, Christians in Egypt, who make up about 10 percent of the population, are reportedly living in fear over whether the political change in the near future may end up in them being persecuted in their own country.
Although some Christians were found praying and leading peaceful demonstrations in the Tahrir Square in Cairo, many fear that the man who takes over from Mubarak as the president might not be as tolerant as him.
“I don’t believe Mubarak is a good man, but he’s at least ten times better than the Muslim Brotherhood is. Imagine if they took control with American approval,” Fox News quoted a popular tweeter named Maged, as saying.
Maged described the Muslim Brotherhood as the “mother of all fears,” a nightmare for Christians: “About 90 percent of the population here believes that slitting our throats is their way to heaven.”
The Brotherhood, which has its slogan ‘Islam is the solution’, is an Islamist transnational movement and the largest political opposition organization in many Arab states.
Although over the years, it has tried to tone down its extreme image in search of a greater role in the Egyptian social and political structure, some argue that the group never really shed its extremist past, the report said. (ANI)
- Egypt unrest may spawn 'illegal immigration' to UK, EU, warns NATO chief - Feb 08, 2011
- I don't care what people say about me: Mubarak (Second Lead) - Feb 04, 2011
- Muslim Brotherhood seeks dialogue to 'save revolution' - May 26, 2012
- Egyptians fear Muslim Brotherhood will impose Islamist ideas - May 02, 2011
- Muslim Brotherhood claims victory, army promises to give up power (Second Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Egypt to celebrate first week without Mubarak - Feb 18, 2011
- New president in Egypt: Implications for political Islam (Comment) - Jul 03, 2012
- Muslim Brotherhood's party officially registered in Egypt - Jun 07, 2011
- Egyptian government to hold talks with opposition group - Feb 06, 2011
- One year on, Egyptians back at Tahrir Square (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Egyptians vote for new leader - Jun 17, 2012
- Mubarak 'fed up' of unrest, but fears chaos if he resigns - Feb 04, 2011
- 'Egyptians believe Islamists will make a better nation' - Jan 29, 2012
- Pope prays for peace in Egypt - Feb 08, 2011
- Thousands converge on Cairo's Tahrir Square - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: arab states, cairo, christians in egypt, extremist, fox news, good man, hosni mubarak, living in fear, maged, many fear, massive protests, muslim brotherhood, peaceful demonstrations, political opposition, political structure, resignation, slogan, tahrir square, tweeter, way to heaven