Pope turns 85April 16th, 2012 - 10:48 pm ICT by IANS
Vatican City, April 16 (IANS/AKI) Pope Benedict XVI marked his 85th birthday Monday.
The pope met his older brother, 88 year-old Father Georg Ratzinger, and asked Catholics to pray that he gets the strength to lead the world’s 1.2 billion faithful.
The church will Thursday celebrate the seventh anniversary of Benedict’s election as pope.
“Next Thursday, on the occasion of the seventh anniversary of my election to the See of Peter, I ask for your prayers, so that the lord gives me the strength to fulfil the mission he entrusted to me,” the pope said in French to thousands of people in St. Peter’s Square.
Benedict is the oldest pope in 109 years, since Leo XIII who died aged 93 in 1903.
Benedict used a cane for the first time in public when boarding a plane for a six-day trip to Mexico and Cuba last month.
“I am old but I still manage to carry out my duty,” Benedict told Cuban leader Fidel Castro.
- Crocodile attends papal audience - Jan 12, 2012
- Pope can't cook, says brother - Apr 04, 2012
- Hague court asked to prosecute Pope over sex abuse - Sep 14, 2011
- Pope greets Queen Elizabeth - Jun 06, 2012
- Eliminate death penalty, says Pope - Dec 01, 2011
- Christmas 'midnight' mass to be held earlier: Vatican - Dec 08, 2009
- Pope urges G-20 to resolve economic crisis - Nov 03, 2011
- 2.5 mn gathered in Rome to see pope in 2011 - Jan 04, 2012
- 70 Belgians to sue Vatican for clerical sex abuse - Apr 30, 2011
- Muslims, Catholics hold inter-faith meet in Vatican - Jul 12, 2012
- Vatican releases Papal book - Nov 24, 2010
- Galileo documents to be shown for first time - Jul 06, 2011
- Pope calls for Church to reflect on what led to abuse - Dec 21, 2010
- Sex abuse victims meet Vatican spokesman - Nov 02, 2010
- Media has tarnished Vatican's image: Pope - May 31, 2012
Tags: 85th birthday, aki, anniversary, benedict xvi, catholics, cuban leader fidel, cuban leader fidel castro, day trip, dg, fidel castro, georg ratzinger, leo xiii, oldest pope, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, prayers, st peter, trip to mexico, vatican, vatican city