Pope signs letter on child abuse cases in IrelandMarch 19th, 2010 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
Vatican City, March 19 (DPA) Pope Benedict XVI Friday signed a highly anticipated pastoral letter to Catholics in Ireland dealing with a child sex abuse scandal involving priests, the Vatican said.
The letter will be published Saturday and will be accompanied by a briefing on its contents by papal spokesman Father Federico Lombardi to media outlets accredited with the Holy See.
On Wednesday Benedict told the faithful attending his weekly general audience that he hoped the letter “will help in the process of repentance, healing and renewal.”
The pontiff’s remarks coincided with an apology by the head of Ireland’s, Roman Catholics, Cardinal Sean Brady, for failing to alert police about a priest convicted of sexually abusing 20 children over a 40-year period.
Irish bishops were summoned to the Vatican in February to discuss the crisis caused by the child abuse revelations and ensuing cover-up.
The Vatican announced that Benedict was working on the pastoral letter shortly after the meeting.
Since then revelations have also surfaced of widespread abuse by priest at Catholic-run institutions in the pontiff’s native Germany, but also the Netherlands and Austria.
- Pope 'truly sorry' for sexual abuse by Irish priests - Mar 20, 2010
- Sex abuse scandal overshadows Pope's British trip - Sep 14, 2010
- Pope begins talks with Irish bishops over sex scandal - Feb 15, 2010
- Vatican urges prudence in assessing WikiLeaks documents - Dec 14, 2010
- Pope Benedict's butler to face trial for stealing letters - Aug 13, 2012
- 4,000 cases of Catholic priests abusing kids probed - Feb 08, 2012
- Pope ready to meet sex abuse victims - Apr 10, 2010
- Pope Benedict XVI wraps up his visit to Spain - Aug 22, 2011
- Vatican names inspectors for Irish church sex scandal - May 31, 2010
- Pope accepts bishop's resignation over sex scandal - Mar 25, 2010
- Third Irish bishop resigns over child abuse - Apr 22, 2010
- Leaked memo will not affect Pope's Britain visit: Vatican - Apr 26, 2010
- Pope's letter of apology disappoints Irish sex abuse victims - Mar 21, 2010
- Hague court asked to prosecute Pope over sex abuse - Sep 14, 2011
- Pope condemns child abuse on British visit - Sep 16, 2010
Tags: apology, benedict xvi, brady, child abuse cases, child sex abuse, dpa, federico lombardi, irish bishops, march 19, media outlets, native germany, pastoral letter, pontiff, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, priests, repentance, revelations, roman catholics, vatican city