Pope prays, talks to survivors at Ground ZeroApril 21st, 2008 - 12:48 am ICT by admin
New York, April 20 (DPA) Pope Benedict XVI Sunday prayed at Ground Zero with survivors of the 2001 terrorist attacks that took 3,000 lives, and asked for god’s intercession in the hate which drove the hijackers to kill so many. Dressed in a plain white robe, Benedict knelt at a small altar on a yellow carpet at Ground Zero and prayed silently for several minutes before lighting a single candle.
The brief ceremony came on the sixth and last day of the pontiff’s tour of the US, where his quest for reconciliation over the child sex abuse scandals within the church have dominated his sojourn.
He is to depart for Rome Sunday evening after holding Mass for tens of thousands at storied Yankee stadium.
About two dozen family members of those who died and actual survivors of the attack by two hijacked passenger planes that brought down the twin towers of the World Trade Center were on hand for the subdued ceremony.
Benedict struggled to light the candle in the misty, windy weather; then offered a spoken prayer asking for god’s support for “people of many different faiths and traditions” who gathered at the “scene of incredible violence and pain”.
He asked for god to “give eternal light and peace to all who died here” and at two other attack sites - the Pentagon in Washington DC and the field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, where a fourth plane crashed when a handful of passengers struggled to regain control.
Afterwards, the pope greeted personally each of the family members or survivors as he listened to their connections to the tragedy.
- Obama visits Shanksville crash site - Sep 12, 2011
- US marks 9/11 sans politicians at ground zero - Sep 11, 2012
- US remembers the day that changed their lives - Sep 12, 2011
- Hague court asked to prosecute Pope over sex abuse - Sep 14, 2011
- Pope turns 85 - Apr 16, 2012
- Australia to hold 9/11 ceremony - Sep 08, 2011
- Politicians take backseat as US remembers 9/11 victims (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- America remembers 9/11 amid tension (Lead) - Sep 11, 2010
- F-16s scrambled as US marked 9/11 anniversary - Sep 12, 2011
- Obama, Michelle to attend 10th anniversary of 9/11 - Aug 03, 2011
- Media has tarnished Vatican's image: Pope - May 31, 2012
- Political, religious tensions mark ninth anniversary of 9/11 - Sep 12, 2010
- American history museum to host 9/11 exhibit - Sep 02, 2011
- Late Pope John Paul II on fast track to get sainthood - Dec 19, 2009
- President Obama signs 9/11 first responders bill - Jan 03, 2011
Tags: benedict xvi, child sex abuse, different faiths, ground zero, hijackers, intercession, passenger planes, pontiff, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, reconciliation, scandals, shanksville pennsylvania, sojourn, sunday evening, twin towers, white robe, windy weather, yankee stadium, yellow carpet