Pope prays for victims of New Zealand quakeFebruary 24th, 2011 - 11:45 am ICT by IANS
Rome, Feb 24 (IANs/AKI) Pope Benedict XVI Wednesday offered prayers and condolences to the scores of people who perished in the earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand. His thoughts were also dedicated to the families of the dead.
“At this time my thoughts turn especially to the people there who are being severely tested by this tragedy. Let us ask God to relieve their suffering and to support all who are involved in the rescue operations.
“I also ask you to join me in praying for all who have lost their lives,” Benedict said during a general audience at the Vatican.
In a telegram sent to Christchurch bishop Barry Jones, Benedict said he was saddened to learn of the sudden devastation and loss of life in the city of Christchurch due to the recent earthquake.
The New Zealand government Wednesday declared a national state of emergency for the first time in the country’s history, 24 hours after the magnitude 6.3 quake struck killed at least 75 people, with 300 people still missing.
In the telegram Benedict said he was praying for the people involved in rescue efforts to free those who are trapped in rubble.
New Zealand is predominantly Christian, with Catholics making up 13 percent of its 4.3 million people.
- Pope reaches out to Turkey quake victims - Oct 27, 2011
- Pope turns 85 - Apr 16, 2012
- Vatican urges prudence in assessing WikiLeaks documents - Dec 14, 2010
- Pope sends 50,000 euro for famine relief in Somalia - Jul 21, 2011
- Pope calls for Church to reflect on what led to abuse - Dec 21, 2010
- Pope greets Queen Elizabeth - Jun 06, 2012
- Vatican condemns China-sponsored ordination - Nov 25, 2010
- 70 Belgians to sue Vatican for clerical sex abuse - Apr 30, 2011
- Pope accepts bishop's resignation over sex scandal - Mar 25, 2010
- Priests' sex abuse is 'weakness of sin', says Pope - May 28, 2010
- Hague court asked to prosecute Pope over sex abuse - Sep 14, 2011
- Muslims, Catholics hold inter-faith meet in Vatican - Jul 12, 2012
- German bishop accused of hitting kids resigns - Apr 22, 2010
- 2.5 mn gathered in Rome to see pope in 2011 - Jan 04, 2012
- Pope ready to meet sex abuse victims - Apr 10, 2010
Tags: aki, benedict xvi, catholics, christchurch new zealand, condolences, devastation, magnitude, new zealand government, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, pope prays, prayers, quake, recent earthquake, rescue efforts, rescue operations, rome, rubble, state of emergency, vatican