Pope John Paul II To Be Beatified By Vatican On May 1January 15th, 2011 - 8:29 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Vatican City, Jan 15, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Pope John Paul II, who maintained his legacy of being the Roman Catholic Church’s Supreme Pontiff and also Sovereign of Vatican City from October 16, 1978 till his unfortunate demise in April 2, 2005, will be beatified on May 1. The Vatican City officials announced the news to the media on Friday. Vatican City’s decision has received praises and appreciation from the citizens after Pope Benedict XVI gave green signal to carry on the beatification.
Timothy Dolan, the archbishop has praised Pope Benedict XVI’s decision and said that this move will push the late Pope a step closer to sainthood. Timothy Dolan took to his blog to express his happiness and stated that Pope John Paul II’s beatification is an event of grace and joy. The Archbishop also added that Pope John Paul II visited New York three times and he was an “honorary citizen”, who was also known as “The Capital of the World”. The Vatican City officials said that the beatification ceremony would take place at St. Peter’s Square in Vatican City. The Catholic Church beautifies someone, when they consider that the person has reached heaven after his death and hence Pope John Paul II would be bestowed with the title.
Vatican City officials justified the beatification by saying that Pope John Paul II performed miracle by curing Parkinson’s Disease of a French nun, sister Marie-Simon Pierre. On the other hand, the late Pope needs to have one more miracle to achieve sainthood. The beatification of Pope John Paul II would draw many pilgrims to the city of Rome, who would gather to witness the prestigious ceremony. Kazimierz Nycz, the Warsaw Archbishop said that it is going to be a great moment of joy for the whole country.
- John Paul II beatified (Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Pope John Paul II's beatification gathers 1.5 million people - May 02, 2011
- John Paul II beatification ceremony begins - May 01, 2011
- John Paul II's beatification may draw a million pilgrims to Rome - Apr 28, 2011
- Vatican warns pilgrims of ticket scams ahead of John Paul II beatification - Apr 11, 2011
- Monument of John Paul II unveiled in Moscow - Oct 15, 2011
- Pope John Paul II's blood to go on display - Apr 27, 2011
- Vatican defends wartime pope's beatification - Dec 24, 2009
- Pope John Paul II's sainthood delayed amid doubts over prerequisite miracle? - Mar 06, 2010
- Smaller crowds anticipated in UK for the papal visit - Sep 15, 2010
- Mugabe to attend John Paul II's beatification ceremony despite travel ban - Apr 29, 2011
- Smaller Crowds Anticipated For Papal Visit To UK Say The Organizers - Sep 15, 2010
- Syro-Malabar Church leader elevated to Cardinal - Jan 06, 2012
- Mother Mary MacKillop To Become Australia's First Saint - Feb 21, 2010
- Pope greets Queen Elizabeth - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: beatification ceremony, beatification of pope john paul ii, benedict xvi, city of rome, gina gomez, honorary citizen, john paul ii, kazimierz nycz, marie simon, news to the media, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, pope john paul, pope john paul ii, roman catholic church, simon pierre, square in vatican city, supreme pontiff, timothy dolan, unfortunate demise