Pope in London on second leg of Britain visitSeptember 17th, 2010 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 17 (DPA) Pope Benedict XVI began the second day of his state visit Friday by meeting thousands of school children in London in an event described as “the big assembly”.
The event, in the London suburb of Twickenham, would “celebrate Catholic education”, organisers said.
Later Friday, the 83-year-old German-born pontiff is scheduled to have a meeting in London with Rowan Williams, who as the Archbishop of Canterbury is the head of the worldwide Anglican Church.
The two church leaders have met many times before, but the get-together at Lambeth Palace, the Archbishop’s London residence, is both symbolic and historically important.
The 13th century palace was, until Henry VIII broke with Rome in 1534, the seat of Catholic church leaders in England.
The pope will later give a keynote speech to political and civic leaders in Westminster Hall in London, the place where Catholic martyr Thomas More was condemned to death in 1535.
Among the guests of honour will be recent British prime ministers, including Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair.
But David Cameron, the current Conservative prime minister, will not be there. He is attending the funeral of his father, Ian, who died during a holiday in France last week.
Last, but not least, the pope and Williams will hold a joint prayer service at Westminster Abbey, marking the first time a pope will have entered the abbey in its 1,000-year history.
- Pope condemns child abuse on British visit - Sep 16, 2010
- Pope's Easter message ignores child sex abuse scandal - Apr 05, 2010
- Church of England head meets Pope to protest mass conversion - Nov 22, 2009
- Sex abuse scandal overshadows Pope's British trip - Sep 14, 2010
- Wills, Kate's 'balcony kiss' key wedding moment! - Jan 06, 2011
- Easter Sunday Sermon Becomes Podium For Resolving Differences Over Catholic Church Sex Scandal - Apr 04, 2010
- Royal couple to get pre-marital counselling - Dec 09, 2010
- Kate may not pledge to 'obey' William - Mar 26, 2011
- Pope greets Queen Elizabeth - Jun 06, 2012
- Like Diana, Kate Middleton too may not pledge to 'obey' hubby - Mar 27, 2011
- Royal wedding route Kate Middleton will take to Abbey revealed - Jan 06, 2011
- William - a prince, a pilot and a patron of charities - Apr 29, 2011
- Pope meets political leaders, celebrates mass in London - Sep 18, 2010
- Britain Welcomes Pope Benedict XVI - Sep 17, 2010
- Protests as pope apologises for sex abuse 'crimes' (Second lead) - Sep 18, 2010
Tags: archbishop of canterbury, benedict xvi, british prime ministers, catholic martyr, century palace, conservative prime minister, david cameron, keynote speech, lambeth palace, london residence, london suburb, margaret thatcher, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, prayer service, rowan williams, visit london, westminster abbey, westminster hall, worldwide anglican church