Poor quality fuel cause of Russian plane crash?September 8th, 2011 - 12:49 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Sep 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Poor quality of aviation fuel could be one of the possible reasons why the Yak-42 plane crashed in Russia Wednesday, killing at least 43 people, an aviation industry official said.
The plane carrying an ice hockey team crashed and burst into flames shortly after take-off near Yaroslavl, some 250 km from Moscow, emergencies officials said.
The Yak-42 plane was carrying the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl ice hockey team to Belarus capital Minsk, for the start of the new Kontinental Hockey League (KHL).
“The aircraft failed to gain the required engine take-off speed and fell from a low height on a Volga riverbank. Refuelling the plane with low-quality fuel is seen as a priority reason for the engine malfunction,” the official said on condition of anonymity.
The Russian emergencies ministry said the plane had 45 people on board - 37 passengers and eight crew members. Two people - hockey player Alexander Galimov and flight attendant Alexander Sizov - survived the crash and are in hospital in critical condition.
The cockpit voice recorder and the flight data recorder are yet to be recovered.
- 'We'll restore ice hocky team lost in plane crash' - Sep 09, 2011
- Sole survivor of Russian plane crash regains consciousness - Sep 13, 2011
- Russian ice-hockey plane crash survivor dies in hospital - Sep 12, 2011
- Russia grounds eight planes after deadly crash - Sep 10, 2011
- Pilots blamed for Russian plane crash that killed 44 - Nov 02, 2011
- Russia grounds six airlines - Sep 26, 2011
- Russian city remembers plane crash victims - Sep 08, 2012
- Yaroslavl ice hockey team wiped out in plane crash - Sep 08, 2011
- Russian jet makes emergency landing - Sep 09, 2011
- Passenger plane carrying ice hockey team crashes in western Russia, killing 43 - Sep 07, 2011
- 31 die, 12 survive in Russian plane crash (Second Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Passenger plane crashes in Russia's Far East, killing 10 - Sep 13, 2012
- Kombarov to replace Zhirkov: Capello - Sep 06, 2012
- Russia labour to beat Northern Ireland - Sep 08, 2012
- Ice hockey coach banned for trying to attack crowd - Nov 08, 2011
Tags: aviation fuel, aviation industry, cockpit voice recorder, crew members, critical condition, engine malfunction, flight attendant, flight data recorder, hockey league, hockey player, hockey team, kontinental, lokomotiv yaroslavl, low quality, minsk, poor quality fuel, ria novosti, riverbank, russian plane crash, yak 42