Pomegranate perks up sex life, fights heart diseaseNovember 11th, 2011 - 6:30 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 11 (IANS) Pomengranate is virtually nature’s elixir that can help stave off heart disease, relieve stress and perk up your sex life.
A two million pounds study has found that an extract of the whole fruit - including pith, peel and seeds - was given to 60 volunteers every day for a month in the form of a capsule.
Researchers monitored the activity of chemicals in their bodies compared with those who took a placebo, the Daily Mail reported.
They found a significant decrease in a marker associated with cell damage which can cause impaired brain, muscle, liver and kidney function as well as ageing effects on the skin.
This decrease, a hitherto unknown benefit of eating pomegranate, slows down the oxidation, or ‘rusting’, of the DNA in cells which occurs over time, according to researchers at the private ProbelteBio lab in Murcia, Spain.
They are found in small quantities in the juice but mainly in the inedible rind, husk and white pith which has been harnessed into a pill and a drink.
Sergio Streitenberger, who led the study, funded by Pomegreat PurePlus, said: “We are very excited about this study which we believe demonstrates that regular consumption of this pomegranate extract can slow down the process of DNA oxidation.
“One way to look at ageing is to think of it as rusting, or oxidising, a damaging process. Being able to guard against this process would be a significant breakthrough.”
Streitenberger’s team found a decrease in levels of a chemical marker called 8-Oxo-DG in the participants’ urine tests. It is tied to damage to DNA caused by a host of chemicals we eat, drink and breathe in.
Pomegranate has been renowned as a superfood for centuries and has been found to contain vitamins A, C and E as well as iron and antioxidants - chemicals which help neutralise harmful oxygen molecules called free radicals.
- Chocolate healthier than many fruit juices - Feb 07, 2011
- Secrets behind what makes people attractive revealed - Oct 25, 2010
- Strawberry extract protects skin against UV rays - Aug 05, 2012
- Tomatoes 'contain nutrient that prevents vascular diseases' - Jan 07, 2011
- Pomegranate juice could be key to new cancer therapies - Dec 13, 2010
- Similarities between DNA repair systems of bacteria, humans greater than thought - Dec 11, 2010
- Brazil spider's venom could help in man's sexual life - Aug 30, 2012
- Extra-virgin olive oil protects liver - Oct 29, 2010
- Forensic tool developed to track ivory traders - Aug 07, 2012
- Oxidative stress may not be all that harmful - Dec 07, 2011
- Molecular 'switch' that contributes to cellular aging process identified - Dec 01, 2010
- 'Viagra effect' from a glass of pomegranate juice - May 04, 2012
- Black rice is the new cancer-fighting superfood (Lead) - Aug 27, 2010
- Scientists find eye development error causing cataracts, glaucoma - Mar 25, 2011
- 'Super food' dark chocolates are healthier than fruits: Study - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: antioxidants, chemical marker, daily mail, dg, elixir, free radicals, heart disease, husk, kidney function, murcia spain, oxidation, oxo, oxygen molecules, pith, pomengranate, rind, sex life, small quantities, superfood, urine tests