Polygamous marriages should be recognised: Oz-based sheikhJune 24th, 2008 - 7:16 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, June 24 (ANI): A key representative of Sydney’s Islamic community believes that polygamous marriages should be recognised to protect the rights of women.
Sheikh Khalil Chami of the Islamic Welfare Centre in Lakemba today said polygamous marriages, although illegal, existed in Australia and should be recognised.
He told Triple J’s Hack program that: “If you know there is law that will help you, there is community will help you. Why not? Why not change the law?”
The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Sheikh Chami as saying that he was asked almost weekly to conduct polygamous religious ceremonies, but had declined to perform such ceremonies.
He also claimed that there were other sheikhs without any qualifications, without any place, who conducted such marriages.
Islamic Friendship Association of Australia president Keysar Trad said recognising polygamous unions would help protect the rights of women in the relationship.
“This idea of plural sexual relationships, it is not so much frowned upon by society as long as these people don’t say we want a polygamous relationship,” he said. (ANI)
- `Polygamy all about wanting sex with more women legally' - Jun 24, 2008
- Legalise polygamyous marriages to protect women: Australian cleric - Jun 24, 2008
- Calls to legalise polygamy in Australia rejected - Jun 25, 2008
- Oz Attorney-General puts Muslims on notice about polygamous marriages - Jun 25, 2008
- Polygamy no threat to Aussie way of life, claim Muslim leaders - Jun 26, 2008
- Oz Muslims condemn moves to ban burka in country - Sep 20, 2010
- British Muslim women don't mind being second wives - Mar 11, 2012
- Young Muslims in Indonesia, Malaysia oppose polygamy - Jul 13, 2011
- Oz Muslim leaders criticise Islamic cleric's 'call for beheading' Dutch politician - Sep 06, 2010
- Oz Muslims feel targeted by new planning - Nov 14, 2010
- Charlie Sheen set to 'marry' both lovers! - Mar 06, 2011
- Charlie Sheen plans to marry both girlfriends - Mar 07, 2011
- Codify Muslim personal law: Islamic scholars, activists - Feb 05, 2012
- Anti 'honour-based' marriage law sought in New Zealand - Jan 29, 2011
- Wrong vows jeopardise thousands of Australian marriages - Aug 21, 2010
Tags: australia, chami, friendship association, hack program, islamic community, june 24, keysar trad, morning herald, polygamous marriages, polygamous relationship, religious ceremonies, rights of women, sexual relationships, sheikh, sheikhs, sydney morning herald, triple j, unions, welfare centre