Poll ranks Obama as the 15th best president of USJuly 2nd, 2010 - 2:24 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 2 (ANI): A new poll of leading presidential scholars by Siena College has ranked Barack Obama as the 15th best president of the United States, just below former President Bill Clinton, but ahead of Ronald Reagan.
According to Politico, in the overall ranking, Obama was rated two places below Clinton, who was the 13th best, and three better than Reagan, who is ranked as the 18th best.
“Obama’s 15th ranking is slightly higher than other presidents who have taken office since the poll started nearly 30 years ago. Most start out at about number 20, said Siena statistics professor and poll director Douglas Lonnstrom.
Although he was ranked high on traits like imagination (6th), communication ability (7th) and intelligence (8th), Obama was rated poorly on background (32nd), which was composed of traits like family, education and experience.
The poll, which surveyed 238 presidential scholars at U.S. colleges and universities, asked scholars to rate the nation’s 43 chief executives on 20 attributes ranging from legislative accomplishments to integrity and imagination.
According to the paper, Franklin D. Roosevelt again earned the top spot, as he has every time since the poll was first conducted in 1982. He and the Mount Rushmore presidents Teddy Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson have consistently been the top five presidents in the poll’s findings.
Obama’s predecessor, George W. Bush, was ranked at number 23 in 2002, but the last time Siena’s presidential expert poll was conducted, he dropped to number 39, qualifying him as one of the five worst presidents. Bush came in at number 42and second to laston issues such as handling the U.S. economy, foreign policy accomplishments and intelligence. (ANI)
- Americans rate Ronald Reagan as best-ever US President - Feb 19, 2011
- Half of Americans give Obama thumbs down - Nov 08, 2011
- Obama support slips; Hillary Clinton most popular - Sep 17, 2011
- Obama, Hillary Clinton again top most admired list - Dec 28, 2011
- Ronald Reagan to grace the $50 bill? - Mar 04, 2010
- Bush's job approval rating as President higher than Obama's: Poll - Dec 07, 2010
- Five myths about Obama's first year in office - Dec 24, 2009
- Obama's approval ratings 'remain steady' despite several setbacks: Poll - Dec 17, 2010
- Obama's approval ratings soar despite disappointments over health-employment issues - Jan 22, 2011
- McCain waxes eloquent on Palin while likening her to "divisive" Reagan - Nov 29, 2010
- Obama approval ratings most polarised ever - Jan 26, 2010
- Michelle Obama to attend Betty Ford's funeral - Jul 12, 2011
- Obama's Midterm Approval Rating Remains Low Despite Reports - Nov 11, 2010
- U.S. Senate confirms Elena Kagan as 112th Supreme Court Justice of the U.S. - Aug 06, 2010
- Obama's approval rating levels out in the low 50s - Sep 30, 2009
Tags: abraham lincoln, barack obama, chief executives, colleges and universities, communication ability, family education, former president bill clinton, franklin d roosevelt, george w bush, legislative accomplishments, mount rushmore, new poll, number 23, number 39, president bill clinton, presidential scholars, presidents bush, ronald reagan, siena college, teddy roosevelt