Political activist killed in north KashmirDecember 3rd, 2008 - 1:16 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Dec 2 (IANS) Separatist militants gunned down the election campaign manager of an independent candidate and wounded another of his supporters in Sopore town of Jammu and Kashmir Tuesday evening, police said.A senior police officer said guerrillas struck at two places in Sopore, 54 km from here in north Kashmir, late Tuesday evening, triggering tension and panic.
“Militants shot at and killed Bashir Ahmed Kababi, the campaign manager of independent candidate and prominent Congress leader Ghulam Rasool Kar,” the officer said.
He said in Farooq Ahmed Pandit, a political activist and Kar’s cousin, was shot in the leg in the second incident.
“Pandit was taken to hospital for treatment,” he said.
Last week militants had targeted another candidate near Sopore but he escaped unhurt in the grenade attack. However, one civilian was killed in the explosion.
A hitherto unknown group calling itself ‘Dahshat-e-Taliban’ said it carried out the Sopore strikes.
Octogenarian Congress leader Kar was denied party ticket and is contesting from the constituency as an independent.
- Grenade blasts rock Sopore town in Kashmir - Feb 02, 2011
- Guerrillas shoot dead youth in Kashmir - Feb 19, 2012
- Police leave Kashmir hospital after public outcry - Feb 08, 2011
- Kashmir police convoy attacked, five injured (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Three hurt in Kashmir grenade attack - May 19, 2012
- SPO shot at in Kashmir's Sopore - Aug 24, 2011
- Militants attack district police chief's convoy in Kashmir - Jan 07, 2012
- Youth killed by militants in Kashmir - May 01, 2011
- Blast outside Manipur speaker's house, one killed (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Two killed in Kashmir protests (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2010
- One killed in Manipur blast (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Two killed in protests as Kashmir flares up (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2010
- Guerrillas attack paramilitary camp in Sopore - Sep 14, 2011
- Top Lashkar militant, involved in cleric's murder, gunned down - Sep 13, 2011
- Militant held for Kashmir grenade attack - Jun 25, 2011