Polish football board suspended after government motionSeptember 30th, 2008 - 3:21 pm ICT by IANS
Warsaw, Sep 30 (DPA) The leadership of the Polish football federation (PZPN) has been suspended by an arbitration court of the nation’s Olympic Committee (PKOL).The court named Robert Zawlocki temporary head of the PZPN after a motion from the sports ministry which has long been dissatisfied with the PZPN’s handling of corruption in Polish football.
Zawlocki, who formerly was a member of the PZPN disciplinary committee, then suspended PZPN boss Michel Listkiewicz and the rest of the board Monday.
He also postponed the elections of the PZPN board, originally set for Oct 30, until “order was restored.”
A similar government intervention last year drew harsh criticism from the world governing body FIFA, which does not shy away from suspending football federations in the case of political interference.
The suspension comes four days after the European body UEFA confirmed that Poland and Ukraine will remain hosts of the Euro 2012 tournament despite concerns in areas such as stadium construction and general infrastructure.
Zawlocki has reportedly written to UEFA boss Michel Platini that the suspension of the leadership will not harm the Euro preparations, in which Listkiewicz will continue to be involved.
Polish football has been plagued by corruption in recent years, with more than 20 clubs, referees, federation and club officials as well as players allegedly involved in fixing schemes.
- Ban on smoking and tobacco ads at Euro 2012 - Oct 21, 2011
- Platini rules out contesting FIFA presidency post - May 28, 2011
- Polish competition watchdog sues UEFA over Euro 2012 tickets - Mar 20, 2012
- UEFA chief praises Ukraine for Euro 2012 success - Aug 28, 2012
- Anzhi pleads with UEFA to declare ground safe - Jul 04, 2012
- UEFA congress begins in Istanbul - Mar 22, 2012
- UEFA fines Russia and Spain over racism - Jun 29, 2012
- Rowdy Russian fans head for Warsaw - Jun 15, 2012
- Sleeping giant India is slowly waking up: Blatter - Mar 09, 2012
- Alleged Polish hooligan leader detained: Police - Jun 16, 2012
- UEFA pleased with Euro 2012 preparations, says Ukraine - Nov 22, 2011
- UEFA investigates Russian Euro 2012 fans (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Moscow tightens security for Polish embassy - Jun 16, 2012
- UEFA hails Ukraine, Poland Euro 2012 success - Jun 19, 2012
- Russian interior ministry confirms fans' arrests - Jun 10, 2012