Policeman killed in Russia bombingAugust 2nd, 2012 - 8:39 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 2 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A police officer was killed Thursday in a bomb blast in Russia’s volatile southwest Dagestan region, the interior ministry said.
The explosion took place in Buynaksk city around 7.30 a.m. fatally wounding 38-year-old Police Captain Rustam Magomedov, who was on his way to work.
An explosive device placed under his car went off. The policeman was rushed to hospital where he died a few hours later, a ministry spokesman said.
Police said illicit trafficking of arms and ammunition as well as manufacturing and trafficking of explosives may be linked to the case.
The troubled region sees frequent attacks on law enforcement officers and government officials by Islamist insurgents. At least 12 militant groups made up of about 300 people are believed to operate in Dagestan. Poor economic conditions and unemployment are thought to be the main factors driving residents to join militant groups.
- Russian journalist charged with creating armed group - Apr 28, 2012
- Cop, two militants killed in Russia - Mar 18, 2012
- Three militants killed in Dagestan - Jun 11, 2011
- Two militants killed in Russia - Oct 23, 2010
- Three dead in North Caucasus blast - Sep 22, 2011
- 11 militants killed on Georgia-Russia border - Aug 30, 2012
- Police investigate Anzhi terrorism claims - Aug 18, 2012
- Anti-tank rifle seized from Russian man's home - Aug 03, 2012
- Car blast kills four in Russia - Jan 27, 2011
- Russia's first Muslim TV channel goes on air - Aug 20, 2012
- Moscow woman creates 'cake bomb' scare - Dec 02, 2011
- Car bomb kills four in Russia - Sep 28, 2011
- Nine held trying to take control of mosques - Sep 27, 2011
- Holed up militants killed in Russian town - Aug 11, 2011
- Two terrorists held over deadly attack in Russia - May 31, 2011
Tags: ammunition, aug 2, bomb blast, dg, explosion, explosive device, explosives, frequent attacks, government officials, insurgents, interior ministry, militant groups, ministry spokesman, police captain, police officer, policeman, poor economic conditions, ria novosti, rustam, trafficking