Policeman kidnapped in RussiaAugust 24th, 2012 - 10:34 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Armed men in masks kidnapped a police officer in Russia’s troubled southwestern region of Ingushetia, officials said Friday.
The abduction occurred in Malgobek town late Thursday. The 23-year-old policeman was driven away in an “unknown direction”, a police spokesman said.
A search is underway to find the kidnappers.
Security officers in the North Caucasus region are regular targets of attacks by Islamist militants who seek independence from Russia.
- Two militants killed in Russia - Oct 23, 2010
- Suicide bomber kills seven at funeral - Aug 19, 2012
- Nine held trying to take control of mosques - Sep 27, 2011
- Car bomb kills four in Russia - Sep 28, 2011
- Two killed in Russia blasts - Feb 15, 2011
- Policeman killed in Russia bombing - Aug 02, 2012
- Russian terror crimes down by 50 percent - Feb 15, 2012
- Cop, two militants killed in Russia - Mar 18, 2012
- Holed up militants killed in Russian town - Aug 11, 2011
- Cops mugged, robbed by villagers in Siberia - Aug 20, 2012
- Six policemen killed in Russia attack - Sep 06, 2012
- Russian police kill five militants in Dagestan - Jun 16, 2010
- Five injured in Russia blast - Oct 24, 2010
- Woman suicide bomber held in Russia - Feb 05, 2012
- Cops turn into robbers in Russia - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: abduction, armed men, islamist militants, kidnappers, masks, north caucasus region, police officer, police spokesman, policeman, ria novosti, russia moscow, security officers, southwestern region, targets