Police ‘understand patient angst’ over decision not to charge `Dr.Death’November 14th, 2007 - 2:42 am ICT by admin
Indian-born and trained Dr Patel worked as director of surgery at Bundaberg Base Hospital in southeast Queensland. He fled to the US in April 2005 and has been linked to the deaths of 17 former patients at the hospital.
Queensland authorities last week ruled out any attempt to prosecute Darren Keating, who was the director of medical services at Bundaberg Hospital at the time Dr Patel worked there, because the time limit for such action had run out.
This was despite a 2005 inquiry finding Dr Keating had allegedly provided false or misleading information to the Medical Board of Queensland about Dr Patel’s registration.
The Queensland Patient Support Group, headed by Ian Fleming, a former patient of Dr Patel, at a meeting yesterday passed a motion of no confidence in Police Minister Judy Spence and Atkinson.
Atkinson, who has met patients, said he was not aware of the vote, but regretted any angst caused by charges not being pursued. Atkinson said the federal attorney-general’s office was liaising with US justice department authorities. (ANI)
- Extended jail term sought for Indian-origin doctor - Jul 20, 2010
- Ex-Bundaberg Hospital chief says Dr. Death's unit was grossly under-funded - Apr 28, 2010
- 'Dr Death' Jayant Patel's lawyers lodge appeal in manslaughter case - Jul 15, 2010
- Nurse says Patel called Bundaberg Hospital's ICU 'third world' - May 11, 2010
- Goalposts moved in Dr Death's manslaughter trial - Mar 02, 2011
- 'Dr. Death' Jayant Patel can walk free in three-and-a-half years - Jul 01, 2010
- "Dr. Death" Jayant Patel lacked experience for major surgery: Brisbane SC told - Mar 23, 2010
- Indian-origin doctor appeals conviction in Australia - Jul 15, 2010
- Indian-origin 'Dr. Death' Patel loses manslaughter appeal, to approach HC - Apr 21, 2011
- Brisbane apex court told that Dr. Death 'tore patient's oesophagus' - Apr 21, 2010
- Dr. Death's claim that dead patient's bowel was cancerous not true, says pathologist - Mar 30, 2010
- Patel a devoted surgeon, didn't cause death: Defence counsel - Jun 18, 2010
- "Dr. Death" Jayant Patel's patient 'knew of operation risks' - Apr 20, 2010
- "Dr. Death" Jayant Patel faced disciplinary action in US in 2000: Brisbane SC told - Mar 23, 2010
- Anaesthetist says a patient of Dr. Death was 'poisoned by too much potassium' - Apr 19, 2010
Tags: authorities, bob atkinson, bundaberg base hospital, dr death, extradition, face charges, federal attorney general, judy spence, keating, medical board of queensland, motion of no confidence, patient support group, police minister, queensland court, regretted, southeast queensland, us justice department