Police tried to implicate me in Delhi blasts: Uttar Pradesh man

October 31st, 2008 - 5:48 pm ICT by IANS  

Lucknow, Oct 31 (IANS) A retired government employee has alleged that the police picked him up, tortured him and forced him to admit his involvement in the Delhi serial blasts when he had gone to the state capital to get visa for Haj pilgrimage, officials said Friday.Noorul Hassan, a native of Kasimabad village of Ghazipur district, 325 km from here, alleged that he was picked up by two men wearing plainclothes from the Alambagh locality of Lucknow Oct 25 when he came here to get a visa to undertake the Haj pilgrimage.

“I was picked up in the early hours as soon as I got down from a bus and the cops, besides forcing me to accept that I am a resident of Sarai Meer locality of Azamgarh, also produced a youth before me and forced me to ‘recognize’ him as a key suspect in the blasts,” alleged Hassan while talking to IANS on phone.

“Realising perhaps that they (cops) have picked up a wrong person, they later left me on the road in an unconscious state in the Alambagh locality,” said Hassan, who retired from the Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (UPSRTC).

“Later, I waved down a roadways bus and since I retired as a traffic inspector from the department, the ticket collector recognised me and dropped me till Mau district,” Hassan claimed.

He had bruises on his face and on his body when he boarded the bus. “From Mau, I called up my relatives who took me to a hospital,” he added.

Police officials said that Mau Superintendent of Police M.K. Mishra also sent an official to the hospital to inquire about the incident Oct 26.

However, Mishra said: “Hassan belongs to Ghazipur and we have nothing to do with the incident. Please talk to SP (superintendent of police) Ghazipur.”

Superintendent of Police, Ghazipur, Brij Raj Meena, said he was out of station for the past few days. “Talk to the police station concerned,” he said.

The Kasimabad police admitted to the incident but said no complaint had been registered.

“We talked to Hassan yesterday (Thursday) and he suspects the Anti Terrorist Squad and the Special Task Force behind this. However, as the incident took place in Lucknow, we advised him to go there and lodge a complaint at the police station concerned,” inspector K.K. Bhatt of Kasimabad police station told IANS on phone.

Hassan was yet to come to Lucknow to register a formal complaint.

Five serial bombings shook the national capital Sep 13, killing at least 25 people and injuring nearly 100 others. Indian Mujahideen claimed responsibility for the Delhi blasts.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe