Police recover 35 kg of explosives in PunjabJune 27th, 2008 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
Ludhiana, June 27 (IANS) The Punjab police Friday claimed to have recovered nearly 35 kg of explosives near here and alleged that tehse were brought into the state to target migrants from Bihar and Uttar Pradesh. The recovery was made in Jagraon town, 40 km from here, while three people were trying to take the explosives to a new location.
This is the second major recovery of explosives by the police in recent days. Nearly 25 kg of explosives and 25 detonators were seized from two youths near Jagraon June 17.
The latest recovery was made from a crockery shop owner Amrik Singh. He and two others, Daljit Singh, a driver, and Sarabjit Singh, a tailor, have been arrested.
Jalandhar zone Inspector General of Police Sanjiv Kalra told reporters that in both cases, the modules working in Punjab had links to people in Hamburg city of Germany.
While the earlier module was linked to one Gurmeet Singh, the new module was working for Hamburg resident Surjit Singh Mahal.
“We had information that with help from abroad, some modules were trying to re-activate terrorism in Punjab,” Kalra said.
Police officials said some terrorist organisations were trying to re-group in Punjab after the Dera Sacha Sauda controversy May last year that set the sect followers and Sikhs on a confrontation course.
Kalra said the three people arrested now had got training in handling explosives in Pakistan.
The police said the explosives recovered were not to be used immediately. The modules had been asked to store them at a safe location.
Last year, a bomb blast had taken place inside a cinema hall here that was showing Bhojpuri films. Six people, all migrants, were killed in the blast.
- LeT, Babbar Khalsa planned blasts in Delhi: Police - Oct 13, 2011
- Khalistan terrorist held in Amritsar (Lead) - May 30, 2010
- Babbar Khalsa plotting revival, big strike: Delhi Police - Jan 01, 2012
- Vehicle thieves' gang busted, 4 held - Feb 06, 2011
- 17 devotees killed in Punjab accident - May 07, 2012
- Indian 'martyr' alive in Pakistan, family hopes for return - Apr 30, 2011
- Huge cache of explosive seized in UP - Jun 09, 2012
- Nearly 25 kg of explosives seized in Punjab - Jun 17, 2008
- Wanted Khalistani terrorist arrested in Amritsar - May 30, 2010
- Woman killed in Punjab for bearing daughters - Apr 17, 2012
- Jalandhar factory collapse kills two, probe ordered (Third Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- 18 devotees killed in Punjab accident (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Police looking into Babbar Khalsa presence in Kashmir - Oct 14, 2011
- Punjab Police recover 15 kg RDX, ammunition - Aug 01, 2010
- Explosive device found near air force base in Punjab - Jan 25, 2010
Tags: bihar, bomb blast, cinema hall, confrontation, detonators, explosives, gurmeet singh, hamburg city, kalra, ludhiana, migrants, new location, police officials, punjab police, sanjiv, sect, sikhs, surjit singh, terrorist organisations, uttar pradesh