Police raid home as dog wrongly smells cannabisDecember 28th, 2011 - 12:00 am ICT by IANS
London, Dec 27 (IANS) A middle-class couple were stunned after their house was raided by police following a sniffer dog’s mistake of suspecting them of growing cannabis in their garden.
Chris and Anne Vincent, a respectable couple in their late 50s, answered the door of their village home to find police demanding access to their garden, the Daily Mail reported.
Police dogs picked up the waft of cannabis coming from the Vincents’ flower bed in the Warwickshire village of Bidford-on-Avon.
Neighbours had reported how streams of local teenagers had been knocking on the couple’s door asking to buy marijuana.
As the couple allowed the drug squad into their detached home, the mystery was solved.
The source of the smell was not marijuana plants but a common evergreen Moss Phlox, a five-petalled flower in hues of blue and pink.
Chris, a shopkeeper by profession, said: “My wife’s a keen gardener. When we bought the house, the plant was already there - but then it grew and grew.”
- Snowdrop bulb fetches £725 - Feb 17, 2012
- Cannabis field found in Moscow - Aug 11, 2012
- Cannabis worth $1 mn found in Australian house - Dec 13, 2011
- Russian scientists revive plants frozen for 30,000 years - Feb 21, 2012
- Widow, teenaged sons found murdered in Haryana - Jul 11, 2011
- Orissa authorities destroy cannabis plants worth 20 million rupees - Dec 31, 2009
- Nature's gift for gardening could explain rich biodiversity - Sep 14, 2010
- Himachal women on mission to uproot cannabis (Feature) - Jul 12, 2011
- Snoop Dogg detained for cannabis on bus - Jan 10, 2012
- Kashmir's tulip garden open for visitors (With Images) - Mar 25, 2010
- Turner, OR man arraigned for possessing 125 marijuana plants - Sep 15, 2010
- Mughal Gardens to open for public Saturday - Feb 12, 2010
- Hippie Arrested When Christmas Tree Turns Out to be Cannabis Plant - Dec 09, 2010
- Bees help flowers grow same hues across oceans - Jun 08, 2012
- Bomb hoax on Howrah bridge - Sep 25, 2011
Tags: 50s, anne vincent, bidford on avon, class couple, daily mail, flower bed, growing cannabis, hues, keen gardener, marijuana plants, middle class, moss, neighbours, police dogs, police raid, profession, shopkeeper, streams, waft, warwickshire