Police chief murdered in Mexican townMarch 11th, 2011 - 12:22 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, March 11 (IANS/EFE) The chief of police in the western Mexican town of Santiago Tangamandapio was found murdered Thursday, authorities said.
The body of Jorge Nunez Espinoza was discovered by passers-by shortly before 8 a.m. lying next to his official vehicle in a rural area, a spokesman for the Michoacan state Attorney General’s Office told EFE.
Nunez, who went missing Wednesday night, was shot once in the head and three times in the chest, according to the AG’s office spokesman, who said investigators think the chief was “executed on the spot”.
Press accounts identified Nunez as the third municipal police chief slain so far this year in Michoacan.
The same accounts mention the appearance in Michoacan’s major cities of signs proclaiming the emergence of a new gang calling itself the Caballeros Templarios (Knights Templar), which claims to be the heir to La Familia Michoacana, a multifaceted crime organization.
La Familia, infamous for decapitating and dismembering enemies and for its brazen attacks on the security forces, dominates the production of synthetic drugs such as crystal meth and also engages in kidnapping, extortion and other rackets.
- 23 bodies dumped in Mexican state - Jun 21, 2011
- Mexican mayor vows to continue her work despite attacks - Jan 26, 2011
- Six decapitated bodies found in Mexico - Feb 06, 2010
- Mexican police arrest drug kingpin - Apr 13, 2010
- Beheaded bodies found in Mexico - Dec 25, 2011
- Mexican woman spends three years as sex slave - Nov 10, 2009
- Mexican cops sentenced to 40 yrs for kidnapping - Oct 29, 2009
- Cartels have been weakened, says Mexican government - Dec 27, 2010
- 18 bodies found at mass grave in Mexico - Nov 07, 2010
- Mexican drug lord Nazario "El Chayo" Moreno Gonzalez reportedly killed by troops - Dec 10, 2010
- Over 2,700 shots fired at Mexican official - Apr 28, 2010
- Mexican drug boss held - Jun 22, 2011
- Eight slain at birthday party in Mexico - Apr 28, 2011
- Five policemen killed in Mexico - Jan 31, 2010
- Five dismembered bodies found in Mexico - Sep 22, 2010
Tags: caballeros templarios, chief of police, crime organization, crystal meth, emergence, espinoza, heir, kidnapping extortion, knights templar, major cities, march 11, mexico city, michoacan state, municipal police chief, office spokesman, rural area, santiago tangamandapio, security forces, state attorney general, synthetic drugs