Police charge ‘race’ attack protester in Sydney’s western suburbsJune 10th, 2009 - 12:37 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, June 10 (ANI): Sydney police have charged a man who allegedly carried a pole during a protest by Indian students in western Sydney.
Two men were arrested after 70 protesters took to the streets of western Sydney for a second night in protest at a series of attacks they claim are racially motivated, The Australian reports.
The crowd that gathered on Wigram and Marion streets in Harris Park at 11.45 p.m. (AEST) was eventually dispersed on Tuesday.
“We maintained a presence until 12.45am (AEST),’ a NSW police spokeswoman told AAP.
Police were called to a spot outside Harris Park train station at about 8.15pm (AEST) on Tuesday to control the gathering crowd.
One of the men, whose age is unknown, has been charged with being in possession of an offensive weapon to appear at Parramatta Local Court later this month. The second arrested man has not been charged and was later released. (ANI)
- Oz authorities says Indian students not racist targets - Jun 09, 2009
- Oz woman arrested after swallowing 41 balloons of heroin! - Nov 06, 2010
- Oz man arrested for 'sexually assaulting teenage boys' - Jan 04, 2011
- Australian woman who hid heroin in stomach held - Nov 06, 2010
- Four Australians taking $1 mn cash, steroids to Bangladesh - Aug 02, 2012
- Australian man dies after being arrested - May 28, 2011
- Another Sydney man charged as Indian protests continue - Jun 11, 2009
- Mystery explosion guts Indian restaurant in Sydney - Jul 06, 2010
- Protesters gather in Beijing, Shanghai - Feb 20, 2011
- Oz teen charged for egging Justin Bieber mid-concert - May 05, 2011
- Sydney police being naive about not terming Indian student attacks racist, says councillor - Jun 09, 2009
- Three killed in Pakistan blast - Feb 13, 2012
- It's official! Sydney is the sex capital of Australia - Nov 12, 2010
- Speeding bikers hit Delhi cop, four held - Jul 23, 2012
- Child porn website mastermind held in Australia - May 21, 2011
Tags: aest, crowd, harris park, indian students, local court, marion streets, nsw police, offensive weapon, park train, police charge, police spokeswoman, possession, protest, protester, protesters, sydney police, train station, two men, western suburbs, western sydney