Pole dancing classes for seven-year-olds creates fury Down UnderNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:50 am ICT by admin
Critics have slammed the move and called them as “sexualising young children” and risking exploitation by paedophiles.
The Australian Family Association criticised the classes, stating that they are inapt.
“There are plenty of exercise tools out there. Why choose a pole, the classic phallic symbol of the pornographic world,” spokeswoman Angela Conway said.
“By putting children in a pole dancing exercise class you’re teaching children a sexual body language that they don’t know the meaning of but adults do,” she said.
Kids who have started taking up classes have defended the dance form, calling it an exercise.
“It’s really fun and you get to learn a lot of different moves. People think it’s pole dancing but it’s not. It’s great exercise,” News.com.au quoted 11-year-old Angela, Perry as saying
The girl’s mum Julie said that pole dancing is being used as healthy exercise.
“It’s not slutty or anything. I’ve seen pole dancing on TV and they don’t do anything like that here. It’s building up her strength after she got ill and it doesn’t put too much pressure on her muscles. She’s much stronger, healthier and more confident,” she added.
Australian Federation of Parents and Citizens’ Association head Sharryn Brownlee said that parents have to be careful about what they are making their kids do since the dance form has a bad reputation.
“Normally the P and C supports any sort of fitness regimen to help kids get healthy but with the reputation of this industry, parents need to be very careful,” she said. (ANI)
- British shops to be stopped from selling provocative items - Dec 05, 2010
- Scotland club's pole-dancing lessons for girls aged 6 upset parents - Jul 23, 2010
- Fury over Brit sex club owner teaching her 7-yr-old daughter to pole dance - Jun 15, 2010
- School faces ire for teaching pole dancing to kids - May 20, 2011
- Brit mum teaching 7-yr-old daughter to pole dance calls critics hypocrites - Jun 16, 2010
- Watson takes up pole-dancing - May 12, 2012
- Modern schoolbags worth $2k are not without laptop, iPod and phone - Jan 23, 2011
- Meet the 2-yr-old boy who is world's youngest pole dancer - Jan 22, 2011
- Oz school kids told 'to stand up in class' to beat obesity epidemic - Sep 07, 2010
- Sexual content has become an 'inescapable' part of kids' lives, says expert - Mar 17, 2010
- I found pole-dancing and striptease completely liberating, says Emilia Fox - Nov 08, 2010
- Pinkett Smith defends her kid's showbiz career - Apr 02, 2011
- Why does censor board love Karan Johar? - Jan 28, 2012
- Barbie maker's new dolls that 'have to wax' spark outrage - Mar 12, 2011
- "School Freaking Dance" Freaks Out Parents - Feb 18, 2010
Tags: 11 year old, angela, australian family, australian federation, bad reputation, dance form, exercise class, exercise tools, family association, fitness regimen, paedophiles, parents and citizens association, phallic symbol, pole dancing classes, sexual body