Pole-dancers’ camp to kick-start in AustraliaNovember 7th, 2010 - 3:10 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Nov 07 (ANI): The usual dance classes are a thing of the past as the first ever national Pole Dancers Camp is set to start on Australia’s Gold Coast.
Pole dancers from around the nation will converge on Surfers Paradise for the first ever Pole-ies Week from November 12.
Organiser Bec Cort said the women would take part in workshops, handstand clinics, gymnastics lessons and pole dance classes with some of the best pole dancers in the world.
“Pole dance has fast become a popular form of exercise for women from all walks of life and is now a sport heading towards the Olympics,” Stuff.co.nz quoted her as saying.
The 31-year-old Brisbane mother became a national champion in 2010 despite having no background in dance or gymnastics.
She said the challenge of doing something remarkably difficult, creative and sensual makes her endure the muscle soreness, bruising and injuries that come with a sport that’s still struggling to overcome its old ’stripper’ image.
“We do still struggle with that and while I think we’re breaking through, it’s still going to take a little bit more time.
“I’ve taught lawyers, a sales executive for Rolex, real estate agents, mothers, teachers, it’s right across the board and we have women as young as 18 and as old as 57 taking up the sport,” she said.
The first Pole-ies Week has been capped at 100 participants but Cort said demand has been so strong that numbers could have been doubled.
“We didn’t think it’d be so popular, it’s been crazy, so next year we’ll make it larger and more of a festival,” she added. (ANI)
- Meet the 2-yr-old boy who is world's youngest pole dancer - Jan 22, 2011
- Pole dancing headed for the Olympics? - Feb 24, 2010
- Christina Aguilera prefers watching female strippers to male ones - May 17, 2010
- Salsa anyone? India swings to the Latino beat (With Images) - Apr 18, 2012
- Three cheers for Indian culture, say IPL's foreign cheerleaders - Apr 12, 2012
- Fury over Brit sex club owner teaching her 7-yr-old daughter to pole dance - Jun 15, 2010
- Long Island strippers rally for 'lap dance' tax to benefit local schools - May 13, 2010
- Culture odyssey: The eclectic journey of Indian dance (Feature, With Images) - Jul 22, 2011
- Michelle Ryan's rehearsal for new film leaves her bruised - Mar 30, 2010
- Pole dancing champ stands to contest in Oz elections - Aug 07, 2010
- 12,000 get set for Mizo bamboo dance (With Images) - Mar 11, 2010
- Nadine Quashie sues club for 'wrongful dismissal' - Oct 12, 2010
- Indian idioms for free-style western performances? The debate grows (Lifestyle Feature) (With Images) - Jun 29, 2012
- Longoria taking pole dance lessons - Jul 21, 2011
- Scotland club's pole-dancing lessons for girls aged 6 upset parents - Jul 23, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,