Poland wants to build own missile defenceAugust 12th, 2012 - 1:20 am ICT by IANS
Warsaw, Aug 11 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Poland wants to build its own missile defence system with help from France and Germany, the Polish press agency reported Saturday.
“We want it (missile defence system] to happen in cooperation with France, Germany and other our allies. NATO welcomes the initiatives of the countries to build up their joint defence capabilities. This is so-called smart defence,” Polish Defence Minister Tomasz Siemoniak told the agency.
The minister estimated the planned Polish missile defence system at $3-6 billion.
In early August, Polish President Bronislaw Komorowski said that Warsaw needed its own missile defence shield that would be a part of the NATO missile defence system.
The US scrapped plans in September 2010 for an anti-ballistic-missile defence system in the Czech Republic and Poland.
Moscow welcomed the move, and Russia’s then president Dmitry Medvedev said later that Russia would drop plans to deploy Iskander-M tactical missiles in its Kaliningrad region, which borders NATO members, Poland and Lithuania.
- Moscow reiterates its missile defence posture - Aug 21, 2012
- US missile deal was a mistake: Poland - Aug 05, 2012
- Polish first lady may visit plane crash site - Jan 31, 2011
- No strategic significance for Patriot missiles near Russia: Poland - Jan 21, 2010
- 'Russia has no business in NATO missile defence' - May 23, 2012
- Russia wants missile defence guarantees - Jun 02, 2012
- Polish president slams hooliganism at Euro 2012 - Jun 15, 2012
- Russia unveils anti-missile radar in Kaliningrad - Nov 29, 2011
- US vows to go ahead with missile shield - May 11, 2012
- US, Russia admit differences over missile shield - Apr 01, 2009
- Poland receives US Patriot missile battery - May 24, 2010
- Polish president plays down outside threats to Euro 2012 - May 17, 2012
- Russia tests interceptor missile - Dec 21, 2011
- Russia says to drop Iskander plans if US scraps missile shield - Mar 03, 2009
- Poland to have new government in November - Oct 14, 2011
Tags: anti ballistic missile, ballistic missile defence, czech republic, defence capabilities, defence minister, dmitry medvedev, early august, iskander, kaliningrad region, komorowski, missile defence shield, missile defence system, nato members, nato missile, polish president, polish press agency, ria novosti, snb, tactical missiles, warsaw