Poland to deploy US missile unit by year end, says ministerMay 22nd, 2009 - 3:28 am ICT by IANS
Warsaw, May 22 (Xinhua) Poland will deploy a US missile unit in the country later this year as part of a bilateral pact with Washington, Deputy Defence Minister Stanislaw Komorowski said Thursday.
Russia has strongly opposed the move.
“For the first time US soldiers will be stationed in Poland. This will be symbolic for Poland,” Komorowski said in an interview with a newspaper.
Komorowski said the talks are on for the completion of a final agreement in July. About 100 US soldiers and 196 Patriot missiles will be deployed in the country by year end. The unit would be based permanently near Warsaw by 2012, he added.
The remarks, on the eve of an important summit between the European Union (EU) and Russia, could create tensions between the EU and Moscow, reports said.
Warsaw and Washington have signed a pact last year to deploy 10 interceptor missiles in Poland as part of a missile defence plan that also includes a radar system in the Czech Republic.
Russia warned that it would deploy its own missile system in the Baltic enclave of Kaliningrad, bordering Poland, in response to the US-Poland plan.
- No strategic significance for Patriot missiles near Russia: Poland - Jan 21, 2010
- Poland wants to build own missile defence - Aug 12, 2012
- US missile deal was a mistake: Poland - Aug 05, 2012
- Moscow reiterates its missile defence posture - Aug 21, 2012
- Russia switches on missile detection radar - Nov 30, 2011
- Poland receives US Patriot missile battery - May 24, 2010
- Russia scraps Kaliningrad missile plan - Sep 19, 2009
- Russia unveils anti-missile radar in Kaliningrad - Nov 29, 2011
- US scraps missile defence plan for Czech Republic - Jun 15, 2011
- Russia-NATO missile shield talks stalled ahead of 2012 summit - Oct 31, 2011
- NATO offers missile defence cooperation to India - Sep 04, 2011
- Obama may drop missile shield bases in Eastern Europe - Sep 17, 2009
- Russia to target European missile shield if talks fail - Nov 23, 2011
- Russia outlines its vision of European missile shield - Apr 29, 2011
- Proposed US defence radar on Czech soil was 'blind' to long-range missiles: Wikileaks - Feb 04, 2011
Tags: bilateral pact, czech republic, deputy defence minister, enclave, european union, eve, interceptor missiles, komorowski, missile defence plan, missile system, moscow, patriot missiles, poland, radar system, russia, stanislaw, tensions, warsaw, xinhua, year end