Poland geared up to face Germany in EuroJune 5th, 2008 - 12:24 pm ICT by IANS
Bad Waltersdorf (Austria), June 5 (DPA) Poland’s Dutch coach Leo Beenhakker is counting on a full-strength squad for his side’s Euro 2008 opener against Germany Sunday. Beenhakker said midfielder Jakub Blaszczykowski had recovered from a hamstring injury and he now had a full squad to choose from for the first time since tournament training began in mid-May. Borussia Dortmund’s Blaszczykowski, who had been sidelined for two weeks, trained Wednesday.
“We are delighted to have him back and his presence will be a major boost against Germany,” Beenhakker said.
“We thought he would only be available for the final group match against Croatia and this is really good news.”
Poland are looking to end a winless record against the Germans, with 11 defeats in 15 matches going back to 1933, when they meet in their Group B match in Klagenfurt.
“We are aware of this record and we are reasonably confident we can finally beat Germany,” 65-year-old Beenhakker said.
Poland are also looking to avenge a 1-0 defeat at the 2006 World Cup. Captain Maciej Zurawski said: “We want to pay Germany back so that the fans believe in us.”
Poland are also up against co-hosts Austria in Vienna next Thursday and Croatia in Klagenfurt June 16.
- Reigning champion Dortmund defeat Bremen in season opener - Aug 25, 2012
- I expected more from the Poles: Russia's Izmailov - Jun 11, 2012
- Cologne relegated, Dortmund break Bundesliga record - May 06, 2012
- Dortmund keep lead at German Bundesliga - Mar 04, 2012
- Poland coach urges calm before crucial Euro opener - Jun 08, 2012
- Dortmund humble Bayern to win German Cup - May 13, 2012
- Euro 2012: Polish blast blows Group A wide open - Jun 13, 2012
- Poland, Greece draw Euro 2012 opener - Jun 09, 2012
- Euro 2012: Czechs stun hosts Poland 1-0, top Group A (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Germany reveal provisional squad for Euro 2012 - May 08, 2012
- Chinese women enter World TT semis - Mar 30, 2012
- Comfortable win for Spain in Euro warm-up - May 27, 2012
- Dortmund record narrow victory in German Cup - Mar 21, 2012
- Dortmund and Bayern win in Bundesliga - Apr 08, 2012
- Croatia dark horses of Euro 2012 - Jun 03, 2012
Tags: bad waltersdorf, borussia dortmund, coach, croatia, dpa, euro 2008, final group, full strength, germans, germany, hosts, klagenfurt, leo beenhakker, maciej zurawski, match, news poland, presence, vienna, world cup