Poison plot against Asians, Blacks by white supremacists busted in UKJune 6th, 2009 - 3:46 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 6 (ANI): A deadly terror plot by suspected white supremacists was busted when the police recovered dangerous ricin meant to poison ethnic minorities in the United Kingdom.
It is feared the lethal nerve toxin was intended for use as part of a biological weapon against blacks and Asians, the Daily Express reports.
The fatal agent, for which there is no antidote, is 6,000 times more poisonous than cyanide. An amount the size of a grain of salt is enough to kill an adult.
During an anti-terror raid at a terraced house in Burnopfield, the police found the ricin in a jam jar in a kitchen cupboard.
Durham’s assistant chief constable Mike Barton said: “This shows that the terrorist threat in the UK is real. We believe the people involved to be white supremacist extremists and one of our lines of inquiry was that they were going to target people from ethnic minorities.”
The house in Burnopfield, and another in nearby Annfield Plain, were raided by police on Tuesday.
According to the government labs in Edinburgh, the jam jar had contained the ricin for up to two years.
The jar will be taken to the Ministry of Defence’s chemical biological warfare labs at Porton Down, Wilts, for further tests.
Ricin can cause major organ failure and fatal collapse of the immune system if eaten or breathed in.
Former lorry driver Ian Davison, 41, and his son Nicky, an 18-year-old milkman, are being held on suspicion of offences under the Terrorism Act 2000 in West Yorkshire. (ANI)
- White supremacist, son jailed for Ricin poison plot - May 15, 2010
- 'Terror' books easily available on Amazon, can be used to create chemical weapons - May 15, 2010
- Al-Qaida's latest threat to US: poisoning food in hotels, restaurants over single weekend - Dec 21, 2010
- Al Qaeda plotting poison attack in US - Dec 21, 2010
- Scientists develop fast, accurate test to detect bio-terror agent - Apr 13, 2009
- Cassava, staple of millions, contaminated by cyanide - May 03, 2012
- Al-Qaeda plotting cyanide attack for Olympics? - Mar 26, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting gunman identified as ex-soldier (Fourth Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- 'Dip Chip' warns of toxicity in real time - May 15, 2012
- Sea horses recovered from Agra warehouse - Apr 05, 2012
- Four die from cyanide poisoning in China - Jun 10, 2012
- 'Sex-and-money' involved in Briton's death in China - Apr 15, 2012
- Republican Congressman Barton retracts apology to BP - Jun 18, 2010
- "Glowing" designer molecule can detect cyanide in water samples very quickly - Oct 22, 2009
- China bans sale of mud snails after vomiting cases - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: annfield plain, biological weapon, chief constable, daily express, ethnic minorities, government labs, jam jar, kitchen cupboard, lorry driver, mike barton, nerve toxin, organ failure, poison plot, ricin, son nicky, terror plot, terrorism act 2000, west yorkshire, white supremacists, wilts