Podolski scores two to give Germany first Euro win since 1996June 9th, 2008 - 4:26 am ICT by IANS
Klagenfurt (Austria), June 9 (DPA) Striker Lukas Podolski scored twice to give Germany their first Euro victory since 1996 with a 2-0 win against Poland in a Group B game played in Klagenfurt Sunday. Polish-born Podolski opened the scoring in the 20th minute after being set up by another German player with Polish roots, Miroslav Klose.
He added another in the 72nd minute after a Polish defender failed to clear the ball. The victory marks the first win for Germany at the Euro finals since beating the Czech Republic 2-1 in the 1996 final in London.
The win sees Germany top the group from Croatia, who beat the co-hosts Austria 1-0 in Vienna in the earlier game on Sunday.
- Germany down Netherlands in football friendly, England beat Sweden - Nov 16, 2011
- Euro 2012: Germany down Dutch 2-1 on Gomez double - Jun 14, 2012
- Germany's Gomez breaks deadlock for win over Portugal (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Podolski goals gives Germany first Euro win since 1996 (Lead) - Jun 09, 2008
- Ukraine suffer 2-3 loss to Austria - Jun 02, 2012
- Great day for me, says German debutant Lars Bender - Jun 18, 2012
- Podolski turns down riches to sign with Arsenal - Mar 09, 2012
- Low expects defensive Greece in quarters - Jun 18, 2012
- Comfortable win for Spain in Euro warm-up - May 27, 2012
- Klose quietly ready to reach his century - Jul 02, 2010
- Germany masterful in 4-0 drubbing of Australia (Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- Serbia down 10-man Germany 1-0 - Jun 18, 2010
- Germany beats Portugal 1-0 in Euro 2012 - Jun 10, 2012
- Schweinsteiger to miss Germany's World Cup qualifiers - Aug 31, 2012
- Germany's Podolski named Man of the Match - Jun 14, 2010