Plot to kill Iranian president foiled in 2007: Tehran TimesMay 14th, 2012 - 10:42 am ICT by IANS
Tehran, May 14 (IANS) Iran’s intelligence ministry has said intelligence forces and police foiled a plot by the Jundullah group to assassinate President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in 2007, the Tehran Times reported.
According to a ministry statement, three suicide attackers tried to assassinate the president during his visit to Iranshahr city in the southeastern Sistan-Baluchestan province in 2007.
The terrorists planned to go near the president during his speech to the people in Iranshahr and carry out their suicide operation.
However, the plot was uncovered and police intervened to prevent the attack, Xinhua said.
Four policemen, one intelligence agent and four terrorists were killed during the anti-terrorist operation, according to the Tehran Times.
Jundullah — also known as the Peoples Resistant Movement of Iran — is an insurgent Sunni Muslim outfit. It has been identified as a terrorist organisation by Iran and Pakistan and has been behind numerous acts of terror and kidnapping in Iran.
- Ahmadinejad asks Zardari to hand over 'known terrorists' to Iran - Dec 21, 2010
- Iran building 'anti-terror' fence on Pakistan border - Apr 15, 2011
- One ton drugs seized in Iran - Jun 24, 2012
- Three die in Iran police chopper crash - Dec 24, 2011
- Blast at Iran mosque kills 15, suspects arrested - May 29, 2009
- 20 dead, 100 hurt in twin blasts in Iran - Jul 16, 2010
- Pakistan release detained Iranian Revolutionary Guards - Oct 27, 2009
- US, Britain planning to attack Iran: Report - Nov 03, 2011
- Iran, Pakistan to cooperate on security matters - Oct 25, 2009
- Escalating Iran-Pak tensions may weaken Waziristan offensive, warns US diplomat - Oct 20, 2009
- US tags Iranian militant group 'Jundullah' a terrorist organisation - Nov 04, 2010
- Iran threatens Israel - Jul 02, 2012
- Iran accuses US, UK of backing Sunni group behind mosque attacks - Jul 17, 2010
- Iran does not need assassinations: Ahmadinejad - Oct 16, 2011
- Iranian military commanders killed in suicide attack - Oct 18, 2009
Tags: acts, intelligence agent, intelligence forces, intelligence ministry, iran, iranian president, iranshahr, mahmoud ahmadinejad, ministry statement, pakistan, policemen, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, sistan baluchestan, suicide attackers, sunni muslim, tehran times, terror, terrorist organisation, terrorists, xinhua