Plot to blow up US-bound jet foiledMay 8th, 2012 - 7:33 am ICT by IANS
Washington, May 8 (IANS) The US and other intelligence agencies thwarted a plot to bomb a US-bound airliner and seized an explosive device, similar to ones previously used by Al-Qaeda, officials said here Monday.
According to a US counter terrorism official, the plot was discovered before it threatened any Americans, and no airliners were at risk, CNN reported.
A non-metallic explosive device like the one used in the failed attempt to bomb a Detroit-bound jet in 2009 was recovered, the official said.
It was meant for use by a suicide bomber, the official added.
Soon after the news of the foiled plot broke, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said: “What this incident makes clear is that this country has to continue to remain vigilant against those that would seek to attack this country. And we will do everything necessary to keep America safe.”
The White House said Monday that President Barack Obama learnt in April of an Al-Qaeda affiliate’s foiled plot to blow up a US-bound airliner, Xinhua reported.
The White House National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said Obama had also been assured that the device did not pose a threat to the public.
“The president thanks all intelligence and counterterrorism professionals involved for their outstanding work and for serving with the extraordinary skill and commitment that their enormous responsibilities demand,” said Hayden.
A spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security, however, said authorities have “no specific, credible information regarding an active terrorist plot against the US at this time,” although they continue to monitor efforts to carry out such attacks.
The threat was foiled around the same time as the anniversary of the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, an other US counter terrorism official said, although the attempted attack was not timed to coincide Osama’s death, CNN reported.
- Terror plot to bomb US-bound plane foiled (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Intending underpant bomber was British double agent - May 11, 2012
- Cheap Casios are jihadi bombers' watch of choice: Report - May 01, 2010
- Yemen bomb went on two passenger jets: Qatar Airways (Lead) - Oct 31, 2010
- Al Qaeda targets Christmas, plans to make toy bomb - Nov 07, 2010
- US reveals 'credible but unconfirmed' terror threat - Sep 09, 2011
- Al-Qaeda leader Al-Awlaki killed: Yemen - Sep 30, 2011
- Four jailed in Denmark for Mumbai-style terror plot - Jun 04, 2012
- 'Wedding gift is being delivered' message foiled Al-Qaeda parcel bomb plot - Nov 01, 2010
- Senior Al Qaeda commander killed in Yemen - Sep 11, 2012
- New York police arrest 'al-Qaeda sympathizer' who plotted bombing campaign - Nov 21, 2011
- Al-Qaeda tried to use explosives-filled dogs to down U.S. cargo plane - Nov 06, 2010
- Earlier flight might have been dry run for parcel bomb plotters - Nov 02, 2010
- Yemen-based Al Qaeda planning fresh attack on U.S. - Jan 14, 2010
- Cargo plot has 'hallmarks of Al Qaeda': US official - Oct 31, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,