Pleasure cruise ends in tragedy for Indian coupleApril 15th, 2009 - 11:41 am ICT by IANS
George Town (Penang), April 15 (IANS) An Indian couple’s pleasure cruise ended in tragedy when the man fell off the ship and his wife dived into the choppy sea in a failed rescue attempt.
Kasturi Shetty, 47, dived off the Star Cruise Virgo Monday to save her husband Noojady Nithyanand, 49, after the latter slipped on the deck and fell into the sea.
“She is a good swimmer, but her husband is not. That is why she risked her life to save him,” said Pranhakar Shetty, the husband’s cousin, who was also on the cruise.
Kasturi is still recovering from the trauma.
Her gutsy attempt proved futile as she was swept away from her husband by the undercurrent, New Straits Times reported from the capital of Penang.
Pranhakar said he and the couple left Bangalore last Tuesday for the cruise which set sail from Singapore.
The incident happened at 10.30 a.m. as the ship was headed towards Pulau Kendi.
Noojady lost his footing as he and his wife were strolling on the slippery deck, according to sources.
The husband’s body is yet to be found, the newspaper said.
- Two Myanmarese killed in Malaysia bus accident - May 26, 2012
- World's biggest cruise ship 'Allure' set to sail - Sep 21, 2010
- Moss wants to buy luxury yacht - Jul 24, 2011
- Shilpa Shetty to celebrate New Year on ship - Dec 21, 2009
- Banderas, Hayek present `Puss in Boots' on cruise ship - Oct 18, 2011
- Gurkhas, sonic arms, razor wire protecting cruise passengers from Somali pirates - Apr 18, 2011
- Carnival Splendor Left Stranded Near Coast Of Mexico - Nov 09, 2010
- Fisherman returns camera dropped in ocean after 18 months! - Feb 13, 2010
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Naval divers set national deep sea diving record (With image) - Feb 16, 2011
- Now, take a 'naturist holiday' with 7-night naked cruise - Oct 15, 2010
- Chinese shipbuilders in choppy waters - Apr 30, 2012
- 'Maximum punishment for captains of vessels passing sinking ship' - Jul 12, 2011
- 'Allure of the Seas' becomes biggest ship on earth by just 5mm - Oct 02, 2010
- Oil poisoning? Alarming sea animal deaths on India's west coast (With Images) - Apr 07, 2012
Tags: choppy sea, cousin, cruise ends, footing, indian couple, last tuesday, new straits times, penang, pleasure cruise, pulau kendi, rescue attempt, singapore, star cruise virgo, swimmer, tragedy, trauma, undercurrent