Plane slides off runway on Thai holiday island, one dead (Lead)August 4th, 2009 - 5:29 pm ICT by IANS
Bangkok, Aug 4 (DPA) The captain of a passenger plane was killed when the aircraft he was flying slid off the runway Tuesday while landing at the popular Thai tourist island of Samui, a government official said.
Transport Minister Sophon Sarun said passengers were injured and taken to hospital, but he could not confirm how many or how seriously.
The Bangkok Airways plane on a flight from Krabi to Samui Island lost control when landing in a rainstorm and slid into one of the fire stations, Sophon said.
“The captain was killed,” he said, adding air traffic was halted to the popular resort island.
The plane involved was an ATR-72 twin turboprop which can carry up to 74 people.
A airline spokeswoman confirmed the crash and said several passengers were injured when the plane slid off the runway at 2.30 p.m. (0730 GMT).
Samui Island in the Gulf of Thailand is a popular resort island for Thais and foreigners alike. Bangkok Airways also owns and operates the airport on the island.
- Plane slides off runway on Thai holiday island - Aug 04, 2009
- Pilot killed in Bangkok Air crash on Samui - Aug 04, 2009
- One dead, 40 injured in Thailand air crash - Aug 05, 2009
- Hundreds of stranded tourists rescued in flood-hit Thailand - Apr 01, 2011
- Bangkok Airways connects Bangalore and Thailand - Oct 04, 2011
- Bomb scare grounds Thai plane in US - Sep 08, 2010
- 10 injured as plane makes emergency landing in Lahore - Aug 31, 2012
- Major plane accident averted in Chennai - Sep 24, 2011
- Four killed in Phuket pub fire (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- British Airways steward jailed for hoax bomb threat - Aug 18, 2012
- Another plane overshoots runway in China - Aug 27, 2010
- 31 die, 12 survive in Russian plane crash (Second Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Plane with 163 people overshoots runway in Russia - Aug 29, 2012
- At Least 23 Survivors After 47 Passenger Plane Crash in Venezuela - Sep 13, 2010
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: 0730 gmt, air traffic, atr 72, bangkok airways, foreigners, government official, gulf of thailand, holiday island, krabi, passenger plane, rainstorm, samui island, sarun, spokeswoman, thai holiday, thai tourist, thais, tourist island, transport minister, turboprop