Plane crashes into couples garden!February 25th, 2008 - 4:42 pm ICT by admin
London, Feb 25 (ANI): An elderly couple had a lucky escape after a plane crashed into their garden as they sat watching TV.
Eileen Watling, 71, and her husband Alfie, 83, were settling down on to watch a movie on television when the aircraft landed in Eileen’s conifers.
“It was so sudden. We’d just started watching a film when there was an almighty crash. We thought the whole house had collapsed, Scotsman quoted Eileen, as saying.
“I looked out of the window and saw the conifers had come down and there were no electricity lines. Then I saw the plane,” she added.
The two people in the plane, the pilot and a passenger, had minor injuries as their two-seater Cessna 172 came down in the Watlings’ garden in Folkestone, shortly after taking off from nearby Rochester airport.
The plane had narrowly missed a neighbour’s house opposite, before hitting power cables and crashing into trees next to the couple’s garage, yards from their bungalow.
“When the pilot came out, he was covered in blood then the passenger came down out of the trees. I managed to get them into the conservatory and got a towel to stop the bleeding from the pilot’s head, Eileen said.
“He said: ‘I’m so sorry to do this to you’. And I said: ‘Not to worry; your heal
th’s more important’,” she added.
Following that, the pilot and his passenger were taken to William Harvey Hospital in Ashford for treatment.
It is believed that the plane might have been travelling too low due to the foggy conditions.
“They were flying at 500ft. We’re at 600ft here, but because of the fog blanket they didn’t see what the problem was,” Eileen said.
“We realise just how lucky we’ve been. The plane was 10ft from our neighbour’s house. If it had hit them first, it could have exploded. Somebody was looking out for us,” she added. (ANI)
- I'm so sorry, says glider pilot after landing in garden - May 17, 2010
- Britain's poll candidate hurt in plane crash - May 06, 2010
- Pakistani plane with 127 on board crashes, no survivors (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Crocodile caused plane crash: Report - Oct 22, 2010
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan, no survivors (Night Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Hoover dam helicopter crash kills 5 - Dec 08, 2011
- 10 die in Russian plane crash - Sep 12, 2012
- Pilots 'almost pass out' after taking off - Jan 09, 2012
- Cargo plane crashes in Karachi, eight dead (Second Lead) - Nov 28, 2010
- Delta Airlines Pilot Makes Emergency One Wheeled Landing at JFK - Sep 28, 2010
- Airplane Crash Leaves Pilot Dead, Dog Survives Miraculously - Nov 30, 2010
- 5 persons have narrow escape as plane crashes into 4WD vehicle near Johannesburg - Jun 12, 2009
- Two Pakistanis die as plane crashes on lawn - Feb 23, 2012
- 'A burning plane, then a thunderous crash' - all hell broke loose (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Gust-blown Manhattan pooch survives 5-floor fall! - May 17, 2010
Tags: ashford, bungalow, cessna 172, conservatory, elderly couple, electricity lines, foggy conditions, folkestone, garden london, london feb, lucky escape, minor injuries, neighbour, plane crashes, power cables, rochester airport, watching tv, watling, william harvey, william harvey hospital