PLA to assist ‘online dating’ banned Chinese troops find loveJune 29th, 2010 - 3:30 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, June 29 (ANI): In an attempt to woo its soldiers, the People’s Liberation Army of China has promised to help its cadres find love, after the Government banned them from internet dating fearing that the lonely hearts might leak out classified information.
The new regulation, which came into force earlier this month, also bans soldiers from writing blogs or diaries online and from using Chinese social networking sites to make friends.
“Soldiers stationed on frontiers, for example in Tibet, have few opportunities to make contact with the outside world, but people with ulterior motives may make use of the soldiers’ personal information and pose a threat to the safety of the army,” The Telegraph quoted Yang Jigui, an officer at the Xigaze base in Tibet, as saying.
According to the paper, the base has already conducted a meeting to discuss how to find partners for its unmarried men through the local branch of the All China Women’s Federation, an NGO that supports women.
“The internet is complicated and we should guard against online traps,” said Wan Long, the political commissar of a regiment in Guangzhou. (ANI)
- China forbids army from online socialising - May 31, 2011
- Now, China makes Skype illegal - Dec 31, 2010
- Meet the US soldier behind WikiLeaks breach - Nov 30, 2010
- US seeks to build case for conspiracy by WikiLeaks - Dec 16, 2010
- Nyoma violence: No mutiny, only indiscipline, says army - May 12, 2012
- A quarter of Chinese women suffer domestic abuse - Oct 21, 2011
- China opens fourth airport in Tibet - Jul 01, 2010
- Asian Games close with China dominant as never before (Lead) - Nov 27, 2010
- Tibet to have solar power generation base - Apr 17, 2012
- Indian Army probing sexual abuse charges against UN peacekeepers in Congo - Jun 07, 2011
- Israeli army to block social networking sites - Oct 20, 2010
- British commandos wanted to abduct Rommel: War diary - Sep 23, 2011
- Dalai Lama speaks of Chinese plot to kill him - May 13, 2012
- Historic opportunity for Hu Jintao to engage Dalai Lama (Comment) - Mar 27, 2012
- Palace aide's memoir bares China skeletons in Nepal cupboard (With images) - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,