Pirates hijack Greek cargo ship off Somali coastMarch 20th, 2009 - 2:17 pm ICT by IANS
Athens, March 20 (DPA) Pirates seized a Greek-owned cargo ship off the coast of Somalia late Thursday, Greece’s merchant marine ministry said.
The Saint-Vincent-flagged cargo ship Titan, with 24 crew, was loaded with steel and was reportedly sailing from the Black Sea when pirates seized the ship off Somalia.
Three of the crew are of Greek nationality, officials said.
Shipping routes off the coasts of Eastern and Western Africa have become increasingly dangerous in recent months, especially in the Gulf of Aden, Gulf of Guinea, off the coast of Cameroon and Nigeria.
Dozens of ships seized by pirates have been eventually released after owners paid tens of millions of dollars in ransom.
In January, pirates seized a Greek vessel off the coast of Cameroon and killed its captain. Last month, another band of pirates seized a Greek-owned cargo ship with 22 crew off Somalia.
NATO ships began anti-piracy operations off the coast of Somalia at the end of 2008, but their efforts have not yielded much success so far.
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- Without UN effort, piracy elimination difficult: India - Jun 27, 2011
- Ship with 24 Russians seized off Togo - Aug 30, 2012
- Hostage crisis: Navy rushes warship to Somali coast - Apr 18, 2011
- Navy thwarts pirate attack on two cargo ships - Sep 26, 2011
- Somali pirates release Greek ship, then hijack another - Jan 17, 2011
- Coast Guard plane chases pirates away off Lakshadweep - Jan 28, 2011
- Somali pirates seize ship with 12 crew - Sep 25, 2010
- Indian Navy warship deployed near Somali coast to free sailors - Apr 19, 2011
- UNSC discusses piracy in Gulf of Guinea - Oct 20, 2011
- South Korea to join India-China-Japan anti-piracy patrols (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Indian dhows sail to Somalia for commercial considerations: navy - Apr 13, 2010
- Indian Navy foils another piracy attempt - Nov 11, 2011
- South Korea to join India-China-Japan anti-piracy patrols - Jun 12, 2012
- Denmark to deploy surveillance aircraft against Somali pirates - Oct 28, 2011
Tags: aden gulf, anti piracy, black sea, cameroon, cargo ship, coast of somalia, coasts, dpa, greek vessel, gulf of aden, gulf of guinea, hijack, merchant marine, nationality, pirates, ransom, saint vincent, shipping routes, somali coast, western africa