Pirates attack Italian ship with 1,200 onboardApril 26th, 2009 - 3:56 pm ICT by IANS
Hamburg/Rome, April 26 (DPA) An Italian cruise ship carrying 1,200 passengers was able to fend off a pirate attack off the coast of Somalia, according to media reports Sunday.
MS Melody, chartered by the Italian cruise company MSC Crociere S.A., was attacked late Saturday by six pirates wielding Kalashnikov machine guns. Security forces on board returned fire, while the captain tried to out-manoeuvre the attackers, Italian news agency ANSA reported.
Initial reports of the attack came from a German passenger, who phoned Spiegel news magazine.
“During a show on board, shots were suddenly being fired,” the passenger said.
The passenger heard repeated gunfire, while other guests saw a white speed boat following the cruise ship.
A spokesman of the European Union’s Atalanta anti-piracy mission confirmed the initial reports to Spiegel, and said they had no information about casualties on board the ship or amongst the attackers.
MS Melody was en route from South Africa to the Italian harbour city of Genoa, and had just left the Seychelles.
Earlier Saturday a German grain ship was seized by pirates.
- Italian cruise ship fends off pirates (Lead) - Apr 26, 2009
- Indian warship arrests pirates off Seychelles - Apr 28, 2009
- Indian Navy ship foils piracy bid near Seychelles, nine arrested (Lead, changing dateline) - Apr 28, 2009
- Italian cruise ship adrift off Seychelles after fire - Feb 28, 2012
- Adrift Italian cruise ship towed to Seychelles - Mar 01, 2012
- Russian tanker thwarts Somali pirate attack - Apr 28, 2009
- Two killed as ship runs aground off Italy - Jan 14, 2012
- Spain to hand over six suspected pirates for trial - Mar 24, 2010
- Seychelles to prosecute four pirates - Apr 30, 2012
- Frenchwoman being held by Somali pirates rescued - Sep 12, 2011
- NATO task force frees Italian ship seized by pirates - Oct 12, 2011
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- Italian tanker seized by Somali pirates freed - Dec 22, 2011
- Ship's sinking: Captain refused to coordinate evacuation (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Dutch navy frees hijacked German hip - Apr 06, 2010
Tags: ansa, anti piracy, attackers, casualties, city of genoa, crociere, cruise company, cruise ship, gunfire, initial reports, italian news agency, italian ship, machine guns, ms melody, news magazine, pirate attack, pirates, security forces, speed boat, spiegel