Piracy watchdog records unprecedented jump in sea attacksJanuary 17th, 2009 - 11:48 am ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Jan 17 (DPA) Global seafarers faced an alarming rise in pirate attacks last year, with an unprecedented 49 ships beings seized and 889 crewmembers held for ransom, a maritime watchdog has said in its yearly report.A total of 293 attacks were recorded in 2008, from 263 recorded in the previous year, the London-based International Maritime Bureau (IMB) said from its reporting centre in Kuala Lumpur.
It also noted a surge in the number of violent attacks last year.
A total 46 vessels were fired upon, 32 crewmembers injured, 11 killed, 21 missing and presumed dead, the report said Friday. The number of incidents in which guns were used nearly doubled from 72 in 2007 to 139 last year.
“In terms of crew taken hostage, the 2008 statistics surpass all figures recorded,” said IMB Director Pottengal Mukundan.
Attacks in the east coast of Somalia and the Gulf of Aden made up 38 percent of the attacks at 111 cases.
Other hotspots for high-seas piracy include Nigeria with 40 attacks and Indonesia with 28, the IMB noted.
The IMB urged governments to heighten security patrols in their waters and ships to remain vigilant against attacks.
- Piracy cases double in first quarter of 2009 - Apr 21, 2009
- Cargo ships may have armed guards to fight pirates - Mar 15, 2011
- Indian seafarers reach Mumbai after being released by Somali pirates - Feb 18, 2010
- Somali pirates seize German tanker - Jan 30, 2009
- Pirates attack ship with Indian crew in Gulf - Aug 31, 2009
- Trying to get 29 Indians freed from pirates: Minister - Jun 25, 2011
- Somali pirates hijacked 174 merchant vessels in last 3 years: Antony - Mar 14, 2011
- Pirates target two tankers near Kerala coastline - Jun 19, 2011
- Indian Govt. mulling idea of having armed guards on merchant ships - Mar 15, 2011
- Malaysia most suited to track piracy in Arabian Sea: Expert - Apr 17, 2011
- Malaysian chopper foils pirate attack on Indian tanker - Jan 01, 2009
- British couple with Somali pirates fears death 'in days' - Jan 22, 2010
- German Navy foils pirate attack on Egyptian ship - Dec 25, 2008
- 23 Indians on ship hijacked in Nigeria by pirates (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Four foreigners kidnapped by pirates in Nigeria - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: alarming rise, coast of somalia, dpa, east coast, gulf of aden, high seas piracy, hostage, hotspots, imb, international maritime bureau, kuala lumpur, pirate attacks, previous year, ransom, reporting centre, sea attacks, seafarers, security patrols, violent attacks, watchdog