Pilot taken off the aircraft after he smelt of alcoholDecember 23rd, 2008 - 12:48 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 23 (ANI): A Boeing 777 pilot was hauled out of the aircraft after he smelt of alcohol, as he prepared to take off with 300 passengers.
Michael Harr, 62, who had been to a Christmas party the night before, was breath-tested and taken off the Jet Airways flight to Mumbai.
The cops were tipped off when an airport staff smelt alcohol on the pilot as he passed through routine security.
The airline pilots are to avoid alcohol for eight hours before flying.
Harr was taken to Heathrow police station for a blood test, and bailed until next year.
The passengers on the flight 9W119 included relatives of people killed and injured in the Mumbai massacre last month. It was delayed until a replacement pilot was found.
Harr absolutely stank of booze, the Sun quoted a source as saying.
Security were immediately suspicious about him and deemed that he wasnt fit to fly.
He was arrested and now faces losing his job. He is only a couple of years away from retirement and has blown everything.
Apparently, he and some of his younger colleagues had been out on Saturday night and the drinking got out of hand.
He thought he could keep up with the youngsters, the source added.
A spokesman for Jet Airways said: The first pilot was replaced and passengers were only delayed by ten minutes. (ANI)
- 'Drunken' Jet Airways pilot held at Heathrow, taken off India flight - Dec 23, 2008
- Jet to operate all flights to London despite strike - Nov 29, 2011
- Air India to get demo-trial on Boeing 787 next week - Jul 06, 2011
- Ajit Singh calls Air India unions for talks (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- Boozed U.S. pilot hauled off after giving wrong destination - Nov 06, 2010
- BA jet makes emergency landing following faulty door scare - Oct 04, 2010
- American held after threat to stab pilot - Aug 23, 2011
- Air India crisis continues for 15th day, losses Rs.250 crore - May 22, 2012
- AI employees suffer as strike continues for 19th day (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Jet Airways, Air India to resume flights from midnight - Apr 18, 2010
- Julia Gillard's RAAF pilots suspended following drunken escapade - Dec 24, 2010
- British Airways steward jailed for hoax bomb threat - Aug 18, 2012
- Air India to lease out fuel guzzling 777s - Jun 12, 2012
- Drunk Pilot Pulled From Plane By Dutch Police - Sep 18, 2010
- Air India crisis enters 13th day, losses at Rs.230 crore - May 20, 2012
Tags: airline pilots, airport staff, alcohol, blood test, boeing, boeing 777, booze, christmas party, colleagues, eight hours, harr, heathrow, jet airways, police station, relatives, replacement pilot, routine security, saturday night, spokesman, youngsters