Pilot says mom, passengers hear ‘bomb’February 27th, 2012 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 27 (IANS) A pilot in the US caused a mid-air scare when he wished happy birthday to a “mom” aboard his plane but passengers instead thought he was referring to a “bomb”.
The pilot in the Southwest Airlines flight wished happy birthday to the mother of an air traffic controller on board his flight from Baltimore to MacArthur airport in Long Island, New York.
A spokeswoman for the airlines said the misunderstanding took place when some passengers heard the phrase “bomb on board” instead of “mom on board”, the Daily Mail reported.
Airline staff rushed to reassure the terrified passengers and the pilot tried to explain what he meant.
“He did clarify with the passengers that he was wishing the mother on board a happy birthday,” the spokeswoman said.
The Federal Aviation Administration said personal announcements were fairly commonplace, and that it will review air traffic control communication.
- Fighter jets intercept two small planes in Obama's airspace - Aug 07, 2012
- Air India flight turbulence leaves passengers injured, probe ordered - Jul 26, 2012
- Meghalaya wants probe against pilots flouting safety norms - Jun 17, 2011
- Plane with William, Kate in runway scare - Feb 12, 2012
- British Airways steward jailed for hoax bomb threat - Aug 18, 2012
- Delta Airlines flight makes emergency landing on JFK airport - Sep 27, 2010
- Pakistani plane makes emergency landing - May 13, 2011
- Major plane accident averted in Chennai - Sep 24, 2011
- Mid-air collision averted in Pakistan - Apr 20, 2011
- Close shave for Jet Airways flight - Jul 21, 2011
- Air India, Jet Airways deny reports of 'averted collision' - Jun 06, 2010
- Malaysian flight makes emergency landing at Delhi airport - Feb 20, 2011
- Air India cancelled 2,753 flights in the first six months: Ravi - Aug 10, 2011
- Angry passenger punches teen for not turning off iPhone during landing - Dec 30, 2010
- Snake in flight grounds plane - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: air traffic control, air traffic controller, airline staff, bomb, control communication, daily mail, federal aviation administration, happy birthday, london feb, long island, long island new york, macarthur airport, mid air, misunderstanding, personal announcements, pilot, scare, southwest airlines, southwest airlines flight, spokeswoman