Pike river miners may have survived first blast, evidence revealsApril 28th, 2011 - 3:17 pm ICT by ANI
Greymouth, (New Zealand), Apr 28 (ANI): Workers who died in New Zealand’s Pike River mine disaster may have survived the first blast, new evidence has revealed.
A video footage shows images of a fully clothed body lying face down in the mine along with a box containing a fire extinguisher, which had been opened.
The families of 29 men, including two Australians, killed in a series of methane blasts on November 19 said the revelation, together with news the mine’s firefighting box had been opened, was a “painful indication” the men may have survived the first explosion.
“Hearing that has made us think ‘maybe there was hope, maybe we should have forced them somehow to get in there earlier and try to save them’,” The Herald Sun quoted, Bernie Monk spokesman for the families, as saying.
However, New Zealand’s Assistant Commissioner Grant Nicholls has stressed that the footage is hazy and more detailed camera equipment imported from the US was needed to verify the find.
“It is important to note that the images we currently have are not that clear,” Nicholls as saying.
“More refinement and interpretation of what currently appears to be a body is needed.,” Nicholls said.
Meanwhile, a royal commission of inquiry into the disaster is due to get underway in Greymouth on May 24. (ANI)
- Fully clothed body located in Pike River mine - Apr 28, 2011
- Relatives of miners furious over Kiwi govt. decision to seal Pike River mine - Jan 14, 2011
- Third explosion rocks New Zealand's Pike River mine - Nov 26, 2010
- New Zealand's Pike River miners died within minutes of first blast: Chief Coroner - Jan 27, 2011
- Fourth blast rocks New Zealand's Pike River mine - Nov 28, 2010
- 29 trapped Kiwi miners feared dead after second blast at mine - Nov 24, 2010
- Second blast rips through New Zealand mine; all 29 miners dead (Second Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Kiwi Army to send robot to see if trapped miners are alive - Nov 22, 2010
- New Zealand's Pike River mine finally capped - Dec 12, 2010
- Families fell to the floor when told of New Zealand miners' death - Nov 24, 2010
- Kiwi mine atmosphere potentially explosive, says rescue chief - Nov 21, 2010
- Prince William to visit New Zealand, Australia disaster zones - Mar 09, 2011
- Website deemed 'despicable' for blaming gays for Kiwi quake - Feb 24, 2011
- 9/11 anniversary coverage may traumatise kids: expert - Sep 08, 2011
- NZ man's lost ring resurfaces after 40 years - Sep 15, 2010
Tags: assistant commissioner, australians, blasts, camera equipment, commission of inquiry, fire extinguisher, firefighting, first explosion, greymouth new zealand, herald sun, may 24, methane, miners, monk, new evidence, nicholls, pike river, refinement, revelation, video footage