Pigeons used to smuggle phone parts into Brazilian prisonMarch 31st, 2009 - 2:36 pm ICT by IANS
Sao Paulo, March 31 (EFE) Brazilian police have intercepted two trained homing pigeons that were being used to carry mobile phone parts into a prison in Sao Paulo state.
The birds were found near the prison with cloth sacks tied to their backs containing parts and components for cellphones, as shown by police representatives to Globo television.
The tactic of training pigeons is not new when it comes to smuggling items into Brazilian jails, and there have been several similar cases in recent years.
Last June, during a search at Marilia prison, also in Sao Paulo state, the police arrested a woman who was taking two pigeons hidden in her purse out of the prison.
In that case, in addition to ferrying cellphone parts into the prison, the birds also transported drugs inside the facility.
Homing pigeons are able to fly back to the spot where they were raised, in this case within the prison, and so it was relatively easy for them to get around the normal security measures set up by authorities to intercept items smuggled inside in other ways.
- Mexican telecom giant to invest $5.4 bn in Brazil - Dec 28, 2011
- Brazilian masterminds art thefts from behind bars - Jul 17, 2012
- Eight die as truck ploughs into Brazil procession - Dec 10, 2011
- Brazilian cannibals made home movie of crimes - Apr 17, 2012
- Pele sends autographed jersey to trapped Chile miners - Sep 19, 2010
- Brazil's president says her cancer has `resolved' - Sep 13, 2011
- Brazilian mayor gunned down at party - Aug 07, 2011
- Brazilian robbers force bus passengers to aid bank heist - Sep 24, 2009
- Soccer player dies during match in Brazil - Jul 09, 2012
- Mob kills murder suspect in Brazil - May 16, 2012
- Eight gunned down in Brazilian city - Jul 13, 2012
- 3 die as car crashes into horse in Brazil - Dec 12, 2010
- Brazilian funeral home broadcasts burials - Nov 22, 2010
- 17 school kids killed in Brazil road accident - Jun 06, 2010
- Ricky Martin expresses his admiration for Miss Universe - Aug 30, 2011